Sump is making too much noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
The water from my drain line into my sump is crashing like crazy. You can hear it from 3 rooms over. I cant stand it. Anyone know a way to quiet it down without modifying the hoses or inlet to the sump?

I had the same problem and I solved it with a sock, my sump is very shallow so I had to get a drawstring sock and tie it to the end of the pipe, it's not as convenient as the socks with the ring and the mount but it gets the job done and since its zipped shut at the top it doesn't splash up.. How much water is draining? If its over 700gph then the felt might clog up within a few days

Well the thing of it is, its a trigger systems sump. It comes with a bulkhead that sticks out of the actual sump to hook your drain hose onto. And where the water come out of the drain and where the water level is. There is a good 3-4 inches between so it just comes down and crashes. Im thinking I should raise the water level in the first compartment so the water from the drain runs below the sump water to silence it, but I dont want the water level to mess with the skimmer.

And no its about 450-500 gph. And it shouldnt be clogged. Its a brand new tank set up last night.

Although mine is not trigger systems, is there anyway you can add another section of hose under the bulkhead extension that extends into the water? Thats what mine has, quiet as a mouse.
If you can get even a little extension, you have then the option of adding a container to go under the hose to raise the water level right there. Then the water will overflow the container into the rest of the sump.

Haha Ingy, im on my way to lowes right now just for a 1 foot piece of pvc to fit so I can do that. Good thinking guys and great tips! Also what can I buy for the skimmer to sit on?

Haha Ingy, im on my way to lowes right now just for a 1 foot piece of pvc to fit so I can do that. Good thinking guys and great tips! Also what can I buy for the skimmer to sit on?

I wouldn't raise the water level. I had the same problem with mine so like like Ingy is saying, I just put a piece of 1" PVC on the other end of the bulkhead and extends into the water. No need to change anything else.

My skimmer sits on pieces of plastic cutting board cut to size. 4 in total.

Hmm. Can't add photos??? Musta hit limit.

Back
Top Bottom