sump pump recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
what sump pump do you think i could use for a 30 gal sump going to a 90 gal sw setup?

also affordable too, no more than 100 bucks\

thanks

Under $100? I'd probably go with a Mag 12 or maybe a Mag 9.5. It would be best to run it submerged.

What kind of overflow do you have and whats your head height. Use those to items to calculate the maximum flow rate comming out of your pump that you can have with out overpowering your overflow. Then pick the pump that is the 'best fit'.

For example if you have a standard U tube overflow with a single U tube then your max flow rate is close to 700GPH and a mag 9.5 would be just the right fit for you if you had the normal 4' head height. If your 90 has internal overflows then you can process more water per hour than a standard hangone so a mag12 would be a good fit or even dual 9.5's. But then you run into your $100 budget limit.

Mag pumps are great pumps not only for the money but they are acutally relyable.

I'm making an overflow using some plans I found online, (a small Lees specimen container in the tank, that flows into a large specimen container that hangs on the outside.) here is a link
http://www.reefs.org/library/diy/img/overflow.gif
This is going to probably go into a 20 gal sump, any idea the flow rate on a homemade overflow and what pump would be good?

Sorry to hijack!!

Back
Top Bottom