Sump pump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on moving my 75 gallon sump in my basement. My 75 gallon tank is upstairs. I am going to hard plumb it with PVC. It will have about 20 lateral feet with three elbows. Then will 20 vertical feet with 4 elbows. I would like to get an external pump for it but don't what size I should get because of the length it's has to travel before it gets to the tank. Right now it's just has to go 20 feet up and it's a Danner mag drive 1800 gpm. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

The mag drive 1800 would require a return line of 1.5 inches in diameter to reach their advertised flow. Any smaller diameter slows down the flow than their stated/advertised flow.

A mag-drive 18 is not going to push that..... The 20' of horizontal isn't technically "head pressure", but it is additional resistance. Add that in with the 20' vertical, plus all the elbows, and you're going to need a serious pump.

EDIT: Here's a Mag-drive Supreme 18 at Marine Depot, and down the page in the "Product Description" tab, it shows the head pressure spec sheet for their pumps. 20 straight feet of head pressure is the shut down for the 18, not including all your horizontal & elbow resistances.... and elbows add serious resistance. Whatever you use, you're better off going with dual 45's rather than a single 90 wherever you can.

Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Water Pump

EDIT 2: That kind of run and height may give you some problems..... Even the ReeFlo Hammerhead at BRS has a MAX head of 23'. The Manta Ray or Tiger Shark looks like they could handle it, but then you're getting into some serious power consumption. The Tiger Shark is 1065W.... That's like leaving a hair dryer running 24/7.

Last edited:
I looked at the manta ray and tiger. Looks like they could have the power. So you think one of those would still give me the turnover rate that I need? I'd rather buy one that is more than enough than not enough. And one that won't give me any problems.

Back
Top Bottom