Sump refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrod9686

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any advantage to using more than one Macro algae... Currently using chaeto

I would think different types consume different nutrients, but I don't know for certain. Mr x or bribo would know more than likely

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That was my thought too... But I know plants on land have chemical defenses that stop competition for resources

People mix macro algae in their refugiums all the time. It is something that can be done, but isn't necessary. The only advantage would be the same as having a large amount of 1 type of macro algae, being that more nutrients will be absorbed.

I mixed both grape caulerpa and chaeto in my refugium. There only seemed to be growth of a single macro at a time. In the beginning when I was having issues getting.nutrients under control the caulerpa grew line wildfire but after that the chaeto took over and the growth of caulerpa died off.

There really doesn't seem to be any special benefit to having both growing at the same time. In tanks with phosphate problems I would recommend grape caulerpa. Otherwise I'd suggest chaeto.

I mixed both grape caulerpa and chaeto in my refugium. There only seemed to be growth of a single macro at a time. In the beginning when I was having issues getting.nutrients under control the caulerpa grew line wildfire but after that the chaeto took over and the growth of caulerpa died off.

I have noted the exact same thing. My caulerpa's (grape & prolifera) thrive in a higher nutrient environment, but the chaeto doesn't do much.... Once the nutrient levels come down, the caulerpas slow down & the chaeto goes absolutely nuts. I like having some of each....

Back
Top Bottom