sump stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveFishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I have a 500 GPH overflow box what size pump (GPH) do I need if I have to pump up the water from the sump about 4 feet into the DT?

You have to account for the pumping length. if it's four feet it'll lose some force so he'd have to go larger. Not sure how much though, sorry

Ok I think I need to do more research before I buy any thing I really can't afford to mess up

Mag 7 would do it as it pumps 420 @ 5',just check the spec for 4' and just throttle it down if its too strong.You need to get as close as possible to the overflow rate without going over.

I don't mean to steal this thread, but I didn't want to start one for almost the exact same question :D

How many times should your overflow turn over your water? I've heard 10x and I've also heard 5x. Planning on starting a sump but I know too little right now

If you have a 500 gph overflow, you really don't want to return water from the sump at 500 gph. I'd say a mag 5 would be better than a mag 7. If anything caused any obstruction in your overflow or drain pipes you're looking at a wet floor.

Your water turnover should be done mainly through the powerheads from what I gather. If I'm wrong someone let me know!

If you have a 500 gph overflow, you really don't want to return water from the sump at 500 gph. I'd say a mag 5 would be better than a mag 7. If anything caused any obstruction in your overflow or drain pipes you're looking at a wet floor.

Your water turnover should be done mainly through the powerheads from what I gather. If I'm wrong someone let me know!

It doesn't make a difference what pump you use if you have a blockage, it will still overflow.It is a good idea to throttle back pumps as it helps prolong the pump life.You also need to keep the flowrate going through the overflow box as high as the box allows so the flow will drag any bubbles through the box to the other side low flow wont do this very well and can cause floods.
As for turnover,everhting is taken into account,flow through the sump depends on what type of sump you use,fuge,macro

Back
Top Bottom