Sump suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24 hours? NE!

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking into getting a sump for my 25 gallon FOWLR (is that still an accurate term with crabs, snails and shrimp in the tank?).

My limit for the size is what I can fit in my stand. My other limit is that I do not have a lot of time for a DIY outfit. My stand is about 23" wide and 11.5" deep on the inside (with a 11.75" opening to get things inside).

I've checked out prices at a very helpful lfs (and most of the lfs in my area all have the same equipment and similar prices). This is the input I got- Advance Aquatics Biofill #2- about 12 gallons and will fit in my stand (20'x8.5"x16"). It comes with overfill, drainhose, sump and bioballs (I still haven't decided whether to use these or not at this point- I've read a lot of opinions pro and con). The price comes in at around $290. I'm not exactly sure if I can/want to spend that much right now.

Is this fair and adequate for my tank? Any experiences with this manufacturer and/or sump setup? Any suggestions for alternates?

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

While I'm not familiar with this particular sump, I believe, based on your description, that it would be adequate for your tank. I have some sumps and wet/dry filters available for a bit less...PM me if you would like prices, ect... I would not use the bio balls if you have enough LR to handle the bio filtration.

since logal was first here he gets the free advertising
http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com/SL-10 wet-dry.htm
that would work for you and is not $300

if youre just looking for a sump to:
- increase water volume
- hide your heater and other equipment
- make water changes/top offs less intrusive to your tank
- keep your tanks water level at a consistent height

why not look into getting a 10g aga for $10
a 300gph overflow box ($50-70?)
mag 3 pump ($no clue lol)
and even though you said no time for diy getting a glass shop to cut you a bubble trap, if you wanted to add one, and siliconing it in yourself <$10

nothing against logan or his store but his $155 price tag is sump/wet/dry only, so you still have to get the pump and overflow.

Thanks for the advice. DIY is sounding feasible, but I just don't know where the time is going to come- hence the name- 24 hours in a day? NOT ENOUGH!

bty, what would the specs be on a bubble trap?

Back
Top Bottom