Sun coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammyg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys bought a sun coral yesterday? Heard a few bad luck stories about keeping them.

Anyone had any experiences with them and have any tips on how to look after them?

I have one. I keep it in low light and moderate flow. Mine only comes out at night. When you feed it, you need to target feed it and at each individual head. Good luck.

Kio707 said:
I have one. I keep it in low light and moderate flow. Mine only comes out at night. When you feed it, you need to target feed it and at each individual head. Good luck.

What do you feed yours with?

I feed mine with frozen mysis shrimp. As Kio said you have to make sure you feed each individual polyp or head. I put mine under a rock ledge.

Thanks for your replies.

Mine is slightly shaded down towards the bottom of the tank. You can see it on my pics at the right.

U reckon I should move it into more shade?

Pics of it

Attachments

• image-3114930970.jpg
    image-3114930970.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image-11660419.jpg
    image-11660419.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 93
Sun coral (tubastraea) are non-photosynthetic, so they require the feeding that the other posters suggested. This makes them different from other LPS's in which the providing of larger food items such as mysis is largely optional.

For success, feed as many of the polyps mysis shrimp (or other type of food) that you can several times (3x +)a week. Any sun coral polyps not contacted to the main coral body must be fed as well. It's this feeding requirement that makes them challenging to keep, but if they're well-fed they tend to do good.

kay-bee19 said:
Sun coral (tubastraea) are non-photosynthetic, so they require the feeding that the other posters suggested. This makes them different from other LPS's in which the providing of larger food items such as mysis is largely optional.

For success, feed as many of the polyps mysis shrimp (or other type of food) that you can several times (3x +)a week. Any sun coral polyps not contacted to the main coral body must be fed as well. It's this feeding requirement that makes them challenging to keep, but if they're well-fed they tend to do good.

Thank you :) so many helpful people on here!

Many people think that sun coral needs to be in a darker area but I dont think this is a proven fact mine is in very bright light and is out several hours of the day I try to feed mine at least once every other day It has learned when it is going to get fed because I put a little cyclopeeze in the tank and if it wasnt already out it will be in about 10 minutes

I just fed my tank a mixture of myssis and coral frenzy (google of u haven't heard of it)

I spot fed the sun coral. Pleased to announce it has come out for the first time since I bought two days ago. Has now fed and looks happy.

Back
Top Bottom