Sun coral not coming out for 2 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayinaung

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought this coral two weeks ago. I haven't seen it come out. I have tried to feed it but I haven't seen it eat at all. Is it dead? How long does it take before they come out?

Are there any signs of tissue recession?

You can try coaxing the feeder tentacles out by temporarily relocating the sun coral into a small container with tank water and adding mysis shrimp or cyclopeeze and keep it in there for 15-30min. If the feeders come out then feed the coral, if they remain retracted, return the sun coral to the tank and repeat daily.

With healthy tubastraea feeder tentacles extend daily, usually at night but also when it senses food in the water (polyp extension occurring within minutes of food introduction or even prior to the food being introduced if the tank is being at the same time each day).

When I first got my sun coral it didn't extend feeders for maybe 3 or 4 days but did so immediately when I tried the above technique.

If it was dead it would be white, if the Stoney part is still yellow then it's still alive. Try mixing frozen mysis in water then puff the smelly warer on the coral with a turkey baster...

ok that's a relief to know. the stony part is still orangy color. I have put it in a countainer and put frozen food into each mouth and leave it there for 30-60 minutes but they don't eat it at all. I haven't tried the light at night trick. I will try it one hour after turning all lights off. I am usually too tired to get up to shine light :) the tank is in the living room so there's ambient light even after I turn off tank lights.

And as far as tissue recesssion, I don't see any tissues on it. If you are talking about the base, the base is still the same.

Its in the darkest area of the tank with good flow. In the dark I can see a small hermit crab on it. I think the coral is dead.

You got a pic? Hard too see but in the background of the first pic is of mine during daytime and then at night with the flash. This was taken at least an hour after a total black period. I have seen it extend during the day about 20mins after feeding time. I target feed once a week at lights out. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image-3693403823.jpg
    image-3693403823.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 75
  • image-948423243.jpg
    image-948423243.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom