sunlight through the window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganizzi

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is against a wall that is near a window, however it doesn't get any direct sunlight. I have been suffering from green algae for the past few weeks and I am trying to figure out what I need to do to fix the problem. The tank has been operational since Mid-January.

I am hoping that I don't have to move the tank because that would be a major ordeal and I would almost rather take it down for good then try to move it.

Is it enough to be simply near a window and not in direct sunlight to have this be the problem? Assuming that the window is NOT the problem should the tank eventually stabilize and the problem go away or do I need to do something directly to the current setup to make the condition clear up?

Thanks!

45gal
35 lbs live rock
192w Coralife light (10,000k & Actinic)
(Actinic on 12hrs/day; 10K on 10hrs/day)
1 H.O.T magnum
1 Visi-Jet-PS skimmer

Last test (today):
pH - 8.4
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Ammonia - .5 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Perform a 20% water change as soon as possible. .5 ammonia is not good at all for saltwater.

I suspect your algae is up because of the ammonia. Do you know what yoru phosphate readings are?

You could use a blind on the window to help shade the tank.

One of the biggest worries with the sun and a window is acutally from overheating the tank.

I think the ammonia might be a false reading or human error. I do 20% water changes regularly (at least once a month) and I always seem to have a slight reading on my ammonia.

I haven't tested for phosphates but was thinking that I probably should since everything I have read indicates this can be a major cause for algae.

My current plan is to:

- Get a current reading for phosphates
- Test fresh tap water for phosphates
- Wipe down the tank walls.
- Skim the water surface of algae
- Perform a water change
- Replace the water with distilled water from store if positive reading for phosphates from tap.

Technically you should not have any ammonia reading at all by now....What is the bio load? Feeding habit etc..

Being by the window isn't what is causing ammonia. It can however, it can cause the algae. This is in every book I've read...not to mention as FF said about the heat caused by the sun..

Another thing is, most tap water has chlorines and other harmful agents, not at all good for SW tanks, is this the water you are using?

I only have 3 damsels right now. So load is very light. I feed twice a day - flake in morning and frozen at night. Just enough food that they eat everything I give them.

I am using tap right now, and I treat with de-chlorinator and heavy metal remover before putting in tank. I have been told that we have relatively good water here (it comes from lake michigan).

I know direct sunlight can be a problem, however the tank is only "near" a window and the path of sun never puts a beam directly on the tank. So any light that falls on the tank would definitely be classified as ambient.

I have my seahorse tank about 8 inches to the right of a west window, the window gets alot of afternoon sun, but the tank does not get any "direct" light from the window. I have never had algae issues in that tank. My guess is the algae is not due to the window.

I'd like to believe that my problem is also not the window, so to start I'll look at this as a water quality issue and attack it from there. If it doesn't clear up after water changes with distilled water, I'll revisit the window issue. I think I'll also reduce the amount of light hours that I'm currently running as well.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

In your message you said you feed frozen food daily.

Is this frozen brineshrimp?

I ask because is has been found to have high.phosphate levels.

I would suggest dropping down to 1 daily feeding.

Maybe also have your lfs verify your ammonia results.

Back
Top Bottom