Supporting the tank bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morticus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you guys support the bottom of your tanks? All the tanks I have seen have a lip around the bottom, so the glass is a good inch off the ground. With a lot of live rock, sand and water it seems like it would break very easily.

My main tank is built into a wood frame, it is supported on the bottom by that frame. My sump is supported by a wood board but it has a plastic lip that keeps that glass off the wood... I am not sure why I even wasted my time putting the wood board under it now that I am thinking about it. My preditor tank has a complete wood bottom under the glass.

I would tend to think it would be wise to have a support under the glass, but I am not an expert.

Good question.. I too have a glass tank w no support. I will hang in for this ride

Support under the glass is not needed, as it will not be touching wood anyways. If It does, you have a big problem on your hands :lol:

If all you have is a 2x4 frame, or plywood base, as long as the supporting members are strong enough to hold the weight, you should be fine. That lip around the tank is there to keep the fish tank strong and to ensure that the bare glass doesn't rest on an uneven surface... as would make it crack.

Some stands have a full-on covered "top" or base, some don't... important part is that as long as you support all 4 edges of the tank EVENLY and it's solid, that's all you need.

Rob has said it all....... My 125 and 55 both All Glass stands with no bottoms.. You can see the worms crawling in the SB...

Interesting that this was brought up... I just bought a 75g All Glass tank and stand/hood from the LFS. The bottom is only supported along both sides and in the front where the brace (the one on the tank) is that goes from the front of the tank to the back. The back edge of the tank is not supported at all 8O . It's the new oak stand from All-Glass, 2004 or 2005 I think.
Is this cause for concern (I don't have any water in it yet - just the DSB)?

don't have anything touch the bottom.. will make areas of the glass weaker then other and cause major ptoblems...

I have a 60 with 100 pounds of LR ....
Don't over think, just do :)

Back
Top Bottom