Sure Grip Magnetic Powerhead Holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerheads_pumps_algae_free_sure_grip_holder.asp?CartId=

Has anyone tried these yet? If so, where did you buy them? They seem kind of expensive at 24.95 for the 50 and 34.95 for the 100 series. (Difference being how thick your glass is). They are more expensive then the power head themselves.

I am tired of the power head falling off the wall and disturbing the coral, sand, etc. in my tank until we happen to find it when we get home from work. So, thinking this might be a solution.

Comments appreciated.

DJ

Got mine from MarineDepot. Love them. Yeah... they're pricey, but I was setting up a brand new system and at $25 the cost was just in the background noise!

Not only do they keep me from worrying about the suction cups giving out like they do in my saltwater storage/mix tank, the unexpected benefit from them is that it's reaaaallllly easy to remove the powerhead for cleaning, etc. The little part that fits on the powerhead just slides on and off the magnet half so you can leave the magnets in place and not mess with them. Puts the powerhead right back in the same place each time. No muss, no fuss.

Big thumbs up!

a cheaper alternative that others use are cleaning magnets that you can get at wal mart for a few bucks in the pet department and glue them on to the magnet

if you go the cleaning magnet route, just be sure that you glue it in such a way that you won't be prevented from doing any normal maintenance to the pump :)

Hot glue is wonderful for this purpose it is semi permanate and can be removed and redone with hot glue HTH

I got lucky and got a set for my brithday from my girlfriend! :) They are really cool though! However for $25 a magnet per PH I think I'm going to take your guys advice for my other PH's and glue it to a cleaning magnet!

I never heard of a "Cleaning magnet". What is it's original purpose? Do you mean a mag cleaner?

DJ

OK, so now that I understand you are referring to the mag cleaner, please tell me how you do this? You hot glue or glue your powerhead itself to a mag cleaner? Anyone have a pic of this?

Thanks so much!

DJ

I do not have a pic but you heat your hot glue up .... take the inside part(dry) for the tank and place the glue on it smoosh it to the PH and let cool take the magnet with the power head place into your tank place the second magnet on to the out side of the tank volia there it is move into position HTH

I have a few of the power head holders from algae free and they are stronger magnets then they put in there cleaning magnets.

I've has SW tanks now for 6 years and hated suction cups, seeing that you have to replace then every few years and they fall off all the time.

whats rough is when algae free came out with the holders they were only 14 dollars for the sure grip 50, i bought 6, then i went back and they were up to 25 dollars a little pricey.

I know algae frees cleaning magnets are weak, but other companys might be stronger, depending on the size of the ph you might want to be careful.

This works great if you've done the maxijet mod. Since you basically change the direction of the flow from the side port to the bottom you need a new way to mount the PH anyway. Using the mag cleaner and some glue should work great.

I bought mine from Marine Depot too. They are great and makes it easy for removing the PH. Money well spent.

Have 2 Sure Grips and love them. They are thin - much thinner than Mag Float, unobtrusive, hold really good, and for comparison even the cheapest large magnet cleaner costs here CND$18.

Ok, this post is the best ever lol. I was wondering if everyone had the same prob with their PH too. I get SO agitated- I clean the suction cups put them back on and no sooner do I get done putting one back on the other one has already came off AGAIN and is blowing everything around. I think Im gunna go to walmart tomorrow and do the cleaner magnet project though, sounds very helpful and a lot cheaper. Thanks for this post!!!

walmarts brands are black and thin so they are not as obtrusive as the mag float ... One other tip with suction cups that I found helps is that if you soak them in vinigar for a few minutes then rinse ,this removes gunk .... then take them and boil them to reset them this has worked for me so far ....

Back
Top Bottom