Surface Junk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flamron

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my 55 circulating saltwater for four days now and there seems to be a thin film of whitish stuff on the top of the water. Other than that, it is really clear. What is this and how do I get rid of it.

Tank Specs: 30 lbs of base rock from hirocks and 60 lbs of caribsea aragonite, three maxijet 600's, aqua c remora with maxi jet, and a hob filter for circulation(running carbon now to get some gunk out. thanks

If it looks like it's a bit oily, it is probably DOC attracting to the water. It will go away with the use of a protein skimmer, and to maximize this effect, you should also use an overflow box.

How can it be DOC's when I haven't fed the tank anything. There is no life in the tank. And I am using a protein skimmer, but no overflow box.

I said if it looks oily, it probably is. It could be some particulate matter that was on the base rock, or the sand. If it is not oily, and is simply on the surface hangin' out, try to slowly scoop it off the top, by barely submerging the lip of (preferrably a wide) a new/never-used container. This will "skim" it off the top. If it layers onto itself when you blow on it, this is what stagnant water I have witnessed does. It kinda skins over. Do you have surface agitation?

I currently have all three of my powerheads pointed to the surface. It is clear where they are hitting, but have the film everywhere else.

There are a few ways of removing it but the quickest and most cost effective solution is to use a cup and to skim off the surface of the water where the film is. When you use a white cup you will find this junk is a dark brown color and will acutall attach itself to the cups surface.

If you have a skimmer see if there is a surface skimmer attachment you can install. What this does is pull water from the surface vs taking it from within the volume of water. By constantly pulling from the surface the film does not build up. Other ways of getting rid of it include lowering your bio load, decreasing your feedings, and increasing your water change schedule.

Back
Top Bottom