Surface scum affecting oxygenation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a sort of surface scum/film on the water surface of my tank since it's been set up (even during cycling). I've tried everything to get rid of it - pointing a powerhead at the surface to break it up, paper towels etc., but as soon as I get rid of it it comes straight back.

I'm just wondering if this will have any bad affects on the aquarium, ie. reducing oxygenation?

I've got a powerhead aimed at the surface which breaks it up a bit, but most of the surface is covered with a very thin layer of whatever it is, which gets broken up when my filter outputs water, and by the powerhead.

Anyone any ideas?

Do you have an efficient protein skimmer? A sump will help in that it uses a surface skimmer to collect water for it's trip to the sump where your protein skimmer should be, ready to remove the dissolved organic compounds that are causing the slime. A protein skimmer on the main tank that has a surface skimmer will also help.

I don't have a protein skimmer I'm afraid! No space around the tank for one really :)

Will the scum be harming the tank and/or oxygenation do you think?

Will the scum be harming the tank and/or oxygenation do you think?
I would think it inhibits oxygen exchange at the surface. Is this a reef tank? If you don't have/want a protein skimmer then I'd say regular large water changes are in order to remove DOC's. You are really missing a great form of filtration. Protein skimmers only work with saltwater. If they worked on FW everyone would have them.

So a protein skimmer will get rid of all that surface scum? Can't I just get a very fine brineshrimp net (as was suggested by someone else!) and get all the scum off every few days?

Everything else with my tank is fine - water quality is fine and stable.

A protein skimmer may reduce the amount of film, but only having some form of skimmer box will eliminate it. I have tried a prism skimmer unsuccesfully to do much of anything. A Remora skimmer with the internal box would do the trick.

As long as your powerhead is causing sufficient surface agitation, everything should be fine. One thing that I find that helps is I run a small powerfilter on my skimmerless 30g tank. The output into the tank keeps the protein film pretty much nonexistant. Don't know if this works on every tank.

My powerhead and filter output cause a bit of surface agitation - not a massive amount though.

I don't have much room at all for anything on the outside of the tank...

how about a cpr into a sump out of a 10 gal it will skim increase water supply and get rid of all pumps filters heaters ect on your tank now

Back
Top Bottom