SW buildup on MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two MH bulbs 12" above my tank, which has no cover. The bulbs now have many spots on them from evaporation. Should I:
1) leave them alone
2) unscrew them and clean them and what should I use
3) place a barrier of some sort between the water and the bulbs

Thanks again.

I clean mine with a damp paper towel every so often. Sometimes I'll unscrew it, sometimes I don't. Course, I always make sure it's off and cooled down, lol.

Be careful not to get body oil from your hands on the bulb a this can make the bulb break. Best to handle with a papertowel or cloth, no fingers on the glass.

If they have any white deposits on them that water won't take off, some vinegar should remove it. Followed by wiping with the damp paper towel to remove the vinegar and the rest of the residue.

Be careful not to get body oil from your hands on the bulb a this can make the bulb break. Best to handle with a papertowel or cloth, no fingers on the glass
This is the most important thing I see is never mentioned when talking about MH bulbs. You should never touch the lamps with bare hands. It can result in brown spots on the bulb, and lessen the life of the bulb due to the oils in your skin...Best to use a cotton cloth.. I used an old t-shirt to replace them on the parking lot....
Kudos to pdmaxfield for the great info!

Back
Top Bottom