Switching CC to live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X the Outsider

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've started to realize the drawbacks of CC when my nitrates were high last week. So I'm definitely trying to come up with a plan to add sand with some crushed shells. So what would be the best way to undertake this adjustment without risking the lives of my fish?

Check out the articles section there is some info on changing your substrate. I think it suggests replacing half of the subsrate letting it sit to allow the bacteria from the current cc to seed it. The change out the other half. Check out the article for more information.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=27

If you are paranoid like i always am you can do the change out in 3 steps to help prevent any sort of spike in your tank

I've also heard of people filling a nylon or something similar with the crush coral and leaving that in there for a while to seed the and so it would be easier to remove later. I have never tried this so i dont know how well it works

hth

how do you remove all your substrate without moving all your rock work? I too would like to remove my cc and replace it with argonite sand.

Back
Top Bottom