Switching tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am in the position of having to move to a much smaller house and want to get a smaller footprint tank to match. I was looking at 74g tower tank which has a 24inx24in footprint.

My only problem is figuring out how to set up the sump. Short of drilling holes in the floor to run a sump in the basement, I don't know if I can do something that will be big enough to be effective.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I saw a post recently where the sump reservoir was located above the main tank. Hopefully that OP will chime in. Otherwise, might it be an acceptable alternative to run an oversized canister like a Fluval F4.

20g tall under the tank?? That's alot of room for "stuff and things"

The only problem is that a 20g high is the same size as the stand, doesn't quite fit. I could potentially make my own stand to fit something though.

I saw a post recently where the sump reservoir was located above the main tank. Hopefully that OP will chime in. Otherwise, might it be an acceptable alternative to run an oversized canister like a Fluval F4.

Tbh, having the sump above the tank would drive me crazy because of the fluctuating water levels.

I have a sump above, while it works, it sucks for the water level. Cant run an ato with the wave makers. Could you use something like a storage bin? Cooler? I wouldn't run a canister..

I would skip looking at glass tanks then. I'd go hunting for drinking water quality plastic bins, like a horse trough. I think it's the '2' you'll see on them that'll say if it's drinking water safe or not...it's been awhile since I've tried to recall that.

Thanks for the suggestions, one of the biggest issues with using a tall hex tank like that is there isn't any room to divide the chambers to allow for a skimmer section because the water has to be kept at a constant level for skimming.
I would skip looking at glass tanks then. I'd go hunting for drinking water quality plastic bins, like a horse trough. I think it's the '2' you'll see on them that'll say if it's drinking water safe or not...it's been awhile since I've tried to recall that.
I have a sump above, while it works, it sucks for the water level. Cant run an ato with the wave makers. Could you use something like a storage bin? Cooler? I wouldn't run a canister..
I'm thinking my best option since it's such a tight area is sadly to just throw money at the problem.

sapphire20c_3.jpg

Trigger systems cube refugium. Gonna cost more than the tank, but it's made for this size cube.

If I'm gonna do things, I need to do it right. Haven't done that in the past which is exactly why my tank looks like a hot mess currently.

I ended up getting the trigger sapphire sump, man that is a very very nice sump.

I think for added filtration I'm gonna get some marine pure blocks to add in.

Back
Top Bottom