Switching to Ro/Di , do I need to start dosing anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I am switching to ro/di when my unit gets here I was told that regular water changes work fine in keeping calc and iodine levels respectable. Now with pure water will I need to dose?

One guy I know uses the pickle lime stuff seems to like it.I dont have ant hard corals just rock a few zoo's and colt frag.

What is the best easiest way to reintroduce lost mineral's etc...

thanx

The salt will add any minerals needed, without any stoney corals, regular water changes should be fine to maintain CA and ALK. I wouldn't add anything to the water ;)

What is the best easiest way to reintroduce lost mineral's etc...
You don't want to introduce those in your water. That's why you got an RO/DI filter - to get rid of the minerals, nitrate, phosphate, chlorine, flouride, heavy metals, etc., etc. from your source water. That way when you mix your SW you are adding trace elements and salt in a measured and controlled manner.
Not to contradict Kevin 8O but I would dose calcium if you are unable to maintain a high level of Ca to encourage encrusting coraline algae and Halimeda to grow. Get a Ca & Alk test kit and measure it, it's the only way to know where you're at.

doesn't the ro/di water remove ca ? Thats mainly why I am asking that and I here iodine is needed

RO/DI removes everything from the water, ideally. The salt mix will have CA and should mix to a proper ALK.

If the demand is not high on your system, regular water changes should be enough to maintain levels. As Mark pointed out, the only way to know for sure is to test.

Contrary to popular opinion, iodine is a poison, more than enough is added to the tank via waterchanges and feedings. There is no harm in adding iodine to NSW levels, but to do this you need a test kit and iodine test kits are highly unreliable. I do not add iodine to my system.

I see, what about all these guys with the kalkwasser and pickle lime stuff worth while? I got a bucket with a valve I can make a drip out of

If you have a CA demand, and cannot maintain CA by regular water changes, the use of kalkwasser (aka pickling lime) is one way to go, imo it's a good way, but that is debatable.

ok, I geuss I should just order a test kit and watch the levels for a bit , might dictate when I change it.Thanx again for all the help here

Back
Top Bottom