syphon vs utility pump, drain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to make my new SW tank as low maintenance as possible. I figure the easier it is to do things like water changes, the more likely I will be to do them.

I'm planning to plumb a line from my RODI pressure tank into the stand, and build a very small sink (a 5x5 box screwed to a wall with a garden hose on the bottom leading to a basement sink) to drain a syphon into. I'll put a valve in the syphon line to keep it primed and allow for quick draining.

I'm also thinking of semi-permanently installing a 5 gal jug to use for water changes. I like the idea of marking the tank and just draining down to that level. I'll probably want to mount a very small pump to bring the water up to the tank as I won't have a sump for a while. I may also stick another very small PH in the jug itself to mix SW for future use.

What pumps would work well for this? I don't care about flow.. in fact slower would be better. Should I valve it to regulate flow or just find the smallest pump possible?

Back
Top Bottom