T5 fixture to mh fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok well I am in need of a new light fixture for my 60 gal reef tank. So far I have a nova extreme 8bulb t5 Ho fixture, I have a ballast out and one that is half out. So Currently 5 bulbs are working. What I am planning on doing is replacing this fixture with a duel mh fixture. I have leather, soft, Lps corals, an in the future I might get a few low light Sps corals. The tank is 24" deep, but all corals are located no deeper then 16". My question is How well will a duel 150watt mh fixture compare to the lights I have now? 250watt? My budget for now is on the short side but let's stick with $250.

you have an 8 lamp and you want to go to MH? big mistake, replace the ballasts and lamps and keep the T5s, thats a crap ton of light.

the reason for the change is, one the fixture was used when i got it. (only $100) the previous owner striped all the screws on the ends, so there is no way to access the ballasts. idk i am still debating my light upgrade. i might stick with t5 or try out mh. all in all i need a new fixture lol

i'm sure there is a way to get to the ballasts even if you have to drill the screws out and replace them

i will have to give it a try some time with a drill, i have tried to use a dremmel with diamond tipped bits, but nothing. i guess i will have to up the force.

Back
Top Bottom