T5 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxshaggyxX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, i'm thinking about getting a 110 gallon tall setup dimensions are 48 long 18 front to back, and 30 deep. Would a 4 bulb t5ho be enough to maybe keep some lps or softies in the lower portion of the tank?

why not get 2-3 dimmable led fixtures? i don't think anything will live towards the bottom, with that fixture in that tall of a tank. for t5ho, you need to replace the bulbs every 6 months to a year. 4 bulbs times 30 dollars is 120 dollars, the price that you can get a single 120w dimmable for. do you already have the quad t5ho?

Yes, the fixture was on my 55 before I broke the tank down, the leds sound like a good idea. You're talking about the dimmable leds on Ebay? Have you had success with them?

Many have had success with them. I'd look into it, as the unit over your 54 will be several feet short when over a 110, either length or width depending on the tank.

i am currently using bridgelux 120w dimmables on my 29 and they work great. i paid 118 shipped. there are tons of different brands, but they are all pretty much the same. most people on here will say taotronics, those ones are about 160 per unit. they all have 50,000 hour lifespans and very quickly become cheaper than t5ho, having to constantly replace bulbs. they say "you can grow any photosynthetic organism under the sun" with those lights.

I paid $450 for all four of my led fixtures. Look up the seller supermart168 on eBay and that's the ones I ordered. My fixtures were white instead of black but I'm happy with them.

Awesome, i'm probably going to do some research and go with the leds, I figured the t5 fixture would not be sufficient but I wasn't 100 percent certain

Hi all, i'm thinking about getting a 110 gallon tall setup dimensions are 48 long 18 front to back, and 30 deep. Would a 4 bulb t5ho be enough to maybe keep some lps or softies in the lower portion of the tank?

I'd get the ones with the 90 degree optics they will punch through 30 inches of water better than 120 optics that most have. coverage with the 90's is 30x30 inches So two over a 48 in. tank will be perfect

Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Light w 90degree Lens Coral Reef Fish Tank Lighting | eBay Search you can find them for less.

You don't need the 90 degree optics. I recently had a 31" deep tank and used the 120 degree optics and was able to grow sps on the sand bed.

I agree the LEDs are the wat to go if you are buying. but I have a 4 x T5HO on my 110 Tall and I have Palys and 'shrooms near the sand and a SPS monti close to the surface (and LPS in between). All growing like mad. but I won't touch an anemone or clams until I upgrade to LEDs down the road.

Right, that's what I was wanting to know because an anemone is something that is definitely going to be in my tank at some point

Back
Top Bottom