Tailspot Blenny, behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
Ive had a new tailspot blenny for 5 days now that I ordered online. I dont know how they are supposed to act, but mine just hides 24hrs a day in my rock work. Hes the only fish in there. If he sees me looking at him, he just goes deeper into the rocks. Im worried that he will starve as he doesnt eat the seaweed I rubber banded to a rock. I see he nip at the rocks a little, but these are newly cycled rocks and shouldnt have any algae on them. (At least, I dont see any).

Should I offer some meaty food? I read they are herbivores that will snack on copepods as well. There are thousands in my tank, but I never see him go after them.

He is breathing fine and doesnt appear to be ill...I am surprised he is still alive actually, as all the other fish (all yellow watchmen) died within a few days from the place I ordered from. (They are the only place that has them).

Anyone here with a tailspot that can tell me what to think?
Thanks
Matt

He just may take some time to get used to your aquarium, reduce your lighting schedule and drape something around your tank. It was the only way I could get my one angel to acclimate to the tank.

Man.. fish are so unpredictable sometimes.. Really sorry you're having so much trouble with these fish Matt. Maybe you should try moving some rock around.. or maybe you should try your best to target feed him. Also, you could try some different food, or maybe soak the seaweed in that garlic food soak stuff. Garlic is supposedly supposed to interest SW fish.

Yea, I have had terrible luck with fish lately, but at least the blenny is now coming out and biting the rocks. I saw him taste the seaweed...AND THEN AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! DANGIT! That was 8 bucks!

I wonder if he is eating the copepods? He comes out and swims and perches and looks at me, just wont eat anything "I" give him...Nothing touches that seaweed...Ive got snails, hermits, and two sexy shrimp. None eat it, lol. Maybe it taste nasty? Maybe I should try another seaweed?

1 week left of the 14day guarantee...:rolleyes: He has lasted the longest so far though. All the other gobys I tried died in a few days.

Matt

That stinks man. I know Instant Ocean makes a natural seaweed grazing pad, and Rods Food has has a herbivore blend. They might be your best options.

Matt, being the only fish in that tank makes the blenny all the more cautious. He seems to be eating and will come around in short order.

i have had my scooter blenny for over a year and have never seen him eat. i have tried to feed him so many things and nothing. he is still alive somehow and i believe he is surviving off of something on the rocks. he seems happy and always looks like he's eating something off the rocks but i can never see anything. he hangs out with the goby al day for some reason

Good news, I caught the blenny DESTROYING the algae ( I keep putting some more in each day hoping he eats it). He came out, looked at me, then started tearing the stuff apart. Seems he waits for it to become all nasty. The only problem is that it goes everywhere. Will this stuff spoil the water quality as bad as other fish food? Guess I will just step up the PWCs which isnt hard at all seeing as the tank is so small.

Yay he is eating! I may have ended the streak of bad luck with this place!

Matt

Nori (algae) should be removed after 24 hours. Fish can live 10 - 14 days without food. It was probably just acclimating to the tank. Being the only fish in there didn't help. IMO it finally got hungry enough to go after the only food souce it had. Wait a day or two then add another piece.

Nori (algae) should be removed after 24 hours. Fish can live 10 - 14 days without food. It was probably just acclimating to the tank. Being the only fish in there didn't help. IMO it finally got hungry enough to go after the only food souce it had. Wait a day or two then add another piece.

Hmmm...I wonder if he would prefer something else? He wont come out to chase down anything, so I need something he can graze on. Anything better than Nori that can be rubber banded down to a rock?

So he may be lonely then? Seems he would be happy to see hes got the tank to himself. He does have some invert tank mates. Two sexy shrimp that avoid him, some hermits, and a porcelain crab. Might he need another fish buddy? I dont think I could fit another fish in this tank. Its only 7.5g. A goby might fit though. Im ALWAYS up for adding more fish!:onfire:

Matt

So an update:
My blenny (bongo) has really livened up! He comes out and looks for me. If I hide from him, he gets excited and starts swimming out in the open trying to see where I am. Its so funny...I will duck below the tank and he quickly swims to the side and looks down at me. "Give me food".

If I approach the glass, he comes out of his cave and looks at me. (Waiting for food).

He seems to like the nori now. I put some in and he comes and gets it. Such a cute lil guy!

I wonder if I could fit a small goby in there for him? Do they like company? I know my sixline wrasse follows my clowns around all day. I wonder if a goby would make a good pal for the blenny? He seems curious of the other critters, but they dont seem to like him. (They hide from him). My concern would be bioload.

Matt

I still think blennies are some of the most personable and entertaining SW fish.

They sure are! Saw the blenny changing his color patterns today depending on the color of rock he was resting on. Very neat to see this happen right before your eyes!

So, what are your thoughts on a buddy for him? Should I keep him the only fish in the tank, or add a goby (or another blenny maybe?)

Matt

If you do another blenny, I wouldn't do the perching type. A swimmer like the forktail variety won't compete for space with your bi-color. Look at the fang types. The canary was my favorite.

Goby would do fine too since it'd hang out at the very bottom of the tank, and again, not compete for space.

Edited - oops, just noticed you have tail spot - a swimmer. OK then, get a percher like a bi-color blenny.

Last edited:
Hello,
What about a Rainfords Goby? I saw one at my LFS swimming in a large tank with a tailspot blenny.

BTW-My blenny doesnt swim much. He perches on the rocks and just stares at me. If I am not in the room, he goes back into the rocks and sits on them.

Maybe a goby that sits on the bottom would be best? Something that wont mind a small tank. I like the yellow watchman gobys, but all 4 have died.

Thanks!
Matt

Back
Top Bottom