Tang choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 6 foot 125g tank. I currently have a yellow tang and was looking to add another Tang but am unsure of which one.

I understand that a blue tang requires a 180g tank normally, but does that apply since I have a 6 foot tank? The only difference is 6 inches front to back and an inch or two in depth. Will it really matter as long as he has the swim room? I don't want to break any rules but in this case it seems it would be ok.

Any thoughts people? I would appreciate any input as I am hoping to start stocking again soon, or at least give me some ideas.....

I had a Kole tang which I did like, and a blue caribbean one, but I fear if I put them in the yellow tang I have will be too bossy as they are similar in body shapes. I had some aggression when I had the kole and blue in the tank last time, nothing serious, but I don't want any issues this time around. lol

Thanks everyone!

I know!! I was looking at that one! lol I only want one more tang so I want the choice to be a good one. And while I didn't want a blue one at first, they have kinda grown on me.

I'd go with the blue tang, beautiful fish and it's not like your overstocking with any other large fish. I have. Blue and a yellow tang together and they get along great. Awesome fish to watch. One of the LFS here has a yellow tang and a 6 year old blue together in a 125. He's about 8-9 inches long. But also they are the only fish. They look completely happy.

I wan't planning on adding any large fish other than a tang. I may add some other guys, but they wouldnt be near the size of a tang. :)

I was thinking an anthias (trio maybe), a diamond goby and some blue reef chromis. :-D

I currently have a pink spotted watchman, 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny and the yellow tang. So I'm sure theres room for more. lol

Just to decide if I wanna take the chance of putting the blue in only a 125g.....

I really don't see an issue with it. I have a mated pair of perculas, yellow tang, blue tang and 1 royal gramma in my tank and there is plenty of room now. But I do have my eye on a 300 gallon upgrade though in the future for my new home. It just can't come soon enough lol.

i was considering a 50x40x24 plywood tank total volume would be about 207 gallons and i've always wanted a blue tang. its either this or i go with a 96x24x24 totalling 240gallons and have to spend tons on lighting

i haven't decided what i should go with and if the tang would do well in the 207

Shoal tang I believe that is how u spell it. I can't remember if they need 180 gal or 120.

This is my three

029.jpg

you should think about getting a spotbreast angelfish their beautiful fish or maybe a bellus angelfish

Ha my 2 of my friends have 180 gallon tanks and have tried clown tangs 2 or 3 times and both fails horribly. Very very sad

Thats the kind of information I wanted. lol I don't want any hard to care for tangs. :)
Yeah,they are the moorish idols of tangs
Not that i'm trying to persuade you to get a purple,but IME,they are one of the more hardy and easiest to care for..had mine 5+ years ,,he's about 7 inches now.....they are the same species as yellows however ,,,so they may fight,,or they could be fine

I would love a purple tang, BUT they cost about 169$!! I can't rationalize that kind of money on one fish. :-( Plus I would be devastated if something happened to it, they are soo beautiful.

I would love a chevron tang too but they are $200 each! Eek!

Liveaquaria has it at 250g for the sohal! LOL

I was thinking the blue tang or a naso...still can't decide but i'm leaning towards the blue one.

Back
Top Bottom