Tang Compatibility.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefNoob0424

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if a Sailfin Tang and Yellow Tang can co-exist? I already have a Sailfin in my tank for about a week.

My LFS said I can cage the yellow tang and put him and the cage in the tank and let them see each other without harming each other physically. There's still stress but there will be less than the fish trying to acclimate to the tank while getting chased by my Sailfin. Also the past week having this tang, I see him as really passive and peaceful. When I first put him in he was amazing also he was and is still best friends with my Leopard wrasse, always following him.

The key to keeping multiple tangs is different body shapes and colors. There will probably be some scrapping going on at the beginning but after a while they should be OK. The bigger the tank the better. How big is the tank?

So should I look into Bristle Tooth/Tomini? And left out to leave the tang in the cage for 24 hours.

IMO the "cage" thing seems like it would really stress a fish out. Tangs need lots of space or they stress...Tangs are very susceptible to Ich, which hits them when they are stressed. That in mind, it would scare me away from the cage idea.

What size tank? The more room, the better for multiples.

Well see this is the problem, the reason I'm leaving out the size of the tank is bc people will be offended or tell me that I can't house them but I beg to differ, all I want to know is if a Sailfin and a Bristle Tooth will co-exist since they're different in shape.

The sailfin will outgrow your 55g tank quickly....but you probably already know that. Anyway, you want to know if you can add a yellow tang with it? Being they are in the same zebrasoma sp. family, if you had a 180 or bigger, maybe. In a 55...no.

I think that part of coexisting deals with territory and proper space. That goes for any type of fish that care about their space.

IMO, two semi aggressive fish of the same species that are forced into a tank that is less than 1/3 the minimal recommended size are going to have problems with one another. In your case, would they get along? Yes, in a 180 or larger so that the Sailfin (that will get over a foot long) will not get stressed and more aggressive (which will likely happen at about 1/3 that size). No way would I try multiple tangs in a 55g.

Well see this is the problem, the reason I'm leaving out the size of the tank is bc people will be offended or tell me that I can't house them but I beg to differ, all I want to know is if a Sailfin and a Bristle Tooth will co-exist since they're different in shape.

I have a physical exercise for you..... Go to your cupboard and pull out a dinner plate, then go over and hold it up in front of your tank. The average dinner plate is about 10".... a bristletooth can reach 6" to 10", depending on species, which is half to two-thirds the size of that plate.

A sailfin tang can reach 15".... one and a half times larger than that plate!! You may "beg to differ" all you wish, it does not belong in a tank that small.

I'm not getting into the "tank size requirement" I'm mentally exhausted from this. My Sailfin is doing absolutely amazing because of his size and my rock work. I've seen millions of people including one of my neighbors housing these magnificent creatures with absolutely no problem and not just a problem but thriving. My neighbor has at least a dozen fish mostly including Tang/Surgeon in a 100. They all looked cramped but they are beautiful and healthy.

All I'm asking from you guys is if these fish can be together. I also changed my mind and decided to look into a hippo tang which seems to be the perfect fish to house with a Sailfin because of there body shape and color.

I am sorry that our reasonable advice is exhausting. There is no chance that a large Tang can thrive in a 55g...much less two of them. You are asking for advice and then not listening.

The answer is "NO", two Tangs, even ones that would work in a 75g, would not do well in a 55 together. In a larger tank, then yes. The "yes" does not relate to your scenario in a 55g.

Sorry its not what you want to hear, but you clearly care more about having what you want and not what is best for your fish.

Also you're not listening and answering my question in the beginning, this would have never happened if you just simply answered the question. I'm not looking to debate but just have a simple answer for my simple question.

Any fish taken from the reef is sad. That tang might be better off with you than the noobie who buys it and never does wc and it dies along with everything else. At least you will try to keep it alive. One of those hit or miss like my lfs says usually they will work it out (but) lots of variables. Good luck at least your trying to make a educate decision with switching to the hippo.

Also you're not listening and answering my question in the beginning, this would have never happened if you just simply answered the question. I'm not looking to debate but just have a simple answer for my simple question.

Ok, to get to your actual question, IF you are dealing with smaller fish, you can "GET AWAY" with putting multiple tangs in the tank provided that they are of different body shapes and colors, for a short period of time. BTW, Multiple elongated surgeon fish do better than multiple circular tangs.

The "debate" going on here is that either type of fish grows pretty large and, if cared for for maximum longevity ( which IS what we want for our fish isn't it? ;)) under the best conditions, either will out grow a standard 55. Ironically, many years ago, I happened to once get an almost fully grown Sailfin Tang for a 300 gal. display tank in a pet store I was working in. The fish was out of Hawaii and BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Unfortunately, it took so long to get him that when my supplier finally sent the fish to me, the tank had already been re- landscaped for smaller fish instead of the original idea of a few "Show" fish so he could not go into the tank safely so we had to use our next largest tank for him, a standard 5' -100 gal tank. So that you get the full picture, we had to empty the tank of all it's gravel so that the fish could fit into this tank. When it opened it's fins, it's dorsal would stick out of the water like a shark. Needless to say, this fish was shortly relocated to a public aquarium for it's own good.
The point I'm trying to make ( and the others here are trying to explain to you) is that these fish that we keep, that grow so large, THINK like a big fish even when they are small fish. So while they might physically fit in a smaller tank because of their size, they may not do so well in a smaller tank because of their minds. ( It's the ol' "YOU can live in a broom closet but you won't be happy" debate here :brows:)
So I would say, if your intentions are to either get a larger tank down the road or rehome the fish as they begin to get too big, you now know what to do.;)

Hope this helps (y)

I understand where you're coming from, I know the fish will outgrow my tank. Already talked to my LFS and they have no problem taking the fish back. I'm planning to have a larger tank way down the road.

Thank you Daniel Fishy, it's not like I'm going to throw this fish in my tank and not care for the fish or for the tank as well. I am listening to you all of you but I made my decision already with housing these creatures. I dedicated this tank for my tangs with the rock work so that the fish can feel more comfortable. I put lots of caves and swimming room so he feels safe and he does.

I understand where you're coming from, I know the fish will outgrow my tank. Already talked to my LFS and they have no problem taking the fish back. I'm planning to have a larger tank way down the road.

Thank you Daniel Fishy, it's not like I'm going to throw this fish in my tank and not care for the fish or for the tank as well. I am listening to you all of you but I made my decision already with housing these creatures. I dedicated this tank for my tangs with the rock work so that the fish can feel more comfortable. I put lots of caves and swimming room so he feels safe and he does.

Thanks Andy for that post. I like the little fish think like big fish idea. That is kind of how I've always looked at it, just never thought of it in those exactly those terms.

My understanding is that when books and websites state "minimum Tank Requirements", they mean minimum for a small fish, not the fully grown version. Thus, the "minimum" wording. With Tangs, that have immunity and stress issues that a lot of other fish don't have (or at least not to the same degree), I tend to stick within those guidelines in hopes of keeping them healthy.

I also agree that buying really small Tangs would work for a short period of time. The OP never asked would they be okay for a while, which is what my answer was based on. I've never seen the point of buying fish that are going to get too big for the tank I am putting them in, so i guess i assume, unless stated otherwise, that people mean "will it work long term?". Trying to catch them and stress them out down the road just seems odd to me. I get attached to my fish and like to keep them for the long haul.

Thanks Andy for that post. I like the little fish think like big fish idea. That is kind of how I've always looked at it, just never thought of it in those exactly those terms.

My understanding is that when books and websites state "minimum Tank Requirements", they mean minimum for a small fish, not the fully grown version. Thus, the "minimum" wording. With Tangs, that have immunity and stress issues that a lot of other fish don't have (or at least not to the same degree), I tend to stick within those guidelines in hopes of keeping them healthy.

I also agree that buying really small Tangs would work for a short period of time. The OP never asked would they be okay for a while, which is what my answer was based on. I've never seen the point of buying fish that are going to get too big for the tank I am putting them in, so i guess i assume, unless stated otherwise, that people mean "will it work long term?". Trying to catch them and stress them out down the road just seems odd to me. I get attached to my fish and like to keep them for the long haul.

Thanks Todd:)
The way I see it, if we look at the mature sizes of the average fish in our tanks then went with all the guidelines for these fish, we really shouldn't be putting almost any fish in any tank. Nano tanks would be considered cruel and unusual punishment. Keeping a single fish that is, by nature, a schooling fish, that too should be frowned upon and illegel. Probably 50% or more people keeping fish today would fit into these catagories. But... here's the thing, fish don't always read books or go to "school" to be happy and healthy. To say that a single schooling fish is unhappy when by himself doesn't really cut it ( in my book at least) when the natural act of schooling is designed for protection against predators. If there is no chance for predation in the tank, why wouldn't the single fish be happy? I say this because some schooling fish, as younger fish, become solitary or stay only with a single mate as adults. I know, this whole thing can be confusing.:blink: Point being that I have taken very small fish and have kept them for many years before rehoming them to larger tanks. My last saltwater tank (75 gal) contained only 3 fish when I had to dismantle it for a move. 1 was an 8 year old Maculosus/ Asfur natural hybrid, 1 was a 10 year old black saddleback clown and the last was a zebra serpent star that I had for 6 years. Considering that the Angel was over 8" when I had to give him up but was only about 1" when I got him, one would have to think that that 75 was not too small to keep him for that length of time or that he was unhappy during his stay. This can be debated to death but I have no doubts about the health of my fish.

As to my little fish/ big fish thought process, I used to see this all the time, especially in groupers. When we were importing 2"-3" Bumble bee groupers (Pomacrops lancelatus) for example, we would watch them looking at 4" fish and trying to eat them. That's a mental thing not a size thing don't you think? We'd see juvenile fish act like Big Bad Terrors against larger fish and we'd think " That fish has either guts or no sense!" lol It's all just studying fish behavior. :D

So, in reality, considering that most people don't keep these fish for as long as their natural lives are (25 years for some clownfish for example), I think it's rather "iffy" that someone who hasn't kept a fish for it's entire full lifespan, should telling someone else what they HAVE to or should do. Obviously, this is my opinion so there's no need to start that debate here ;)

I am just giving my experiences over 30 years of marine fish keeping on these threads. I've seen a lot and done a lot so I have a lot I can and do like to share (y)

Thanks again ;)

+1 Todd

Read the hundreds of posts from people who decided to ignore any advice on tangs, most of those fish are long dead. I have been following this post and decided not to join it once I heard the refusal to discuss tank size. Don't ask for advice and then complain it doesn't fit what you have already done or decided to do. A tiny tang can be kept in a smaller tank, but even then they can get stressed.

Yes, I guess I am a part of the tang police, but as a LFS owner in the past I am sick of sending what is becoming a rarer fish to its death over and over again.

And most of my fish are over 10 years old, even the tangs.

Last edited:
These tang discussions are always an amazing study in both fish and human behavior....unfortunately ,the fish we put into our tanks have no say so as to their fate , it all lies in reef keepers ability to understand the fishes environmental needs and then do the ethical thing,..which more times than not is not the case.
The " tang police" as is often referred to is not to just rial up a reef keeper trying to keep one in a smaller tank but is to try and maintain the longevity of the hobby.., tangs and other creatures are and will be getting harder and harder to " harvested" from the wild as more and more closures and regulations appear, so we all as reef keepers need to do everything we can ethically to preserve this privilege .
Anyone who has ever seen the tangs in their natural state on the reefs would never even think of housing them into something that would hinder them in any way,..tangs and other creatures are beautiful and amazing to keep and cherish. I'm not in any way trying to preach one way or another because you are going to do what you do anyways,..it's more of a study of human behaviouf ,.. Kind of like the signs in the park stating that ALL dogs must be on leashes,..but then there's the people who seemingly think that their dogs are exempt ,. Humans ! Gotta love'em

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom