tang help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 70 gallon tank, I'm a big fan of tags. I are there any that would be ok in a tank this size? Maybe for a while, then I could sell them back to the lfs

Tipton34 said:
I have a 70 gallon tank, I'm a big fan of tags. I are there any that would be ok in a tank this size? Maybe for a while, then I could sell them back to the lfs

Not without causing stress. I know it's only 5 gallons, but most are 75 and above. I'd venture to say 90g and above. That would be a kole tang, Tomi tang, mimic tang.

Tipton34 said:

No way would i recommend any tang in a 3.5 foot 70g tank. If you decide to dismiss that advice thats your choice. Good luck

Ok, I'll probably hold out on the tang. Maybe next summer I can build me another tank that's bigger

That is a good idea. When I went on a trip to Florida there was a 50 or so gallon aquarium in the hotel lobby that had a young sailfin tang. I was shocked. There was also a single green chromis, a foxface, and a maroon clown. And to take up more space there was a large coral insert. I'm no saltwater expert but sailfins need at least 100 gallons right.

I think if you get them young and they are close to your aquarium rating you should be fine. I my lfs will allow you to sell them back if they get too big

Tipton34 said:
I think if you get them young and they are close to your aquarium rating you should be fine. I my lfs will allow you to sell them back if they get too big

Usually them getting too big is the last of the series of problems encountered by putting a tang in a small tank. Usually before that its stress, infighting, disease and malnutrition. Only of it survives all that will you ever get to the point its 'too big'. Also in your case a tang would be a very large contributor to your bioload.

Back
Top Bottom