Tang-like fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If u bought a small one it would take more than a month or too to get that big...

How long do u think it would take? If it was less than half a year than it doesn't seem worth it....

I wouldnt put a yellow tang in for any more than 3-5 months. it does depend on how big you get him at but he will grow from tiny to medium rather quickly. Is your tank 3 feet or 4 feet? That could be improtant....

Yea, kinda wishing I'd had money for a 125, or I'd waited and saved more...

They grow about a an inch and a half to a couple of inches a year I believe... If u really love tangs try to get a bigger tank. A 60 or 75 if u just want one tang, and then u don't have to worry about giving it away. Lol

The problem is parental permission, I only got this tank last year, I think ill be hard put to convince them to let me get another....

Swimzebras: The hard fact is, no you should not have a Tang in a small tank. Are you going to find someone to tell you they've done it before, and give you an OK, maybe. But the sad fact is they need a lot of swimming room, and even smaller ones will be stressed. I too have a 3' tank and would like to have one. Does your tank have any livestock in it right now? I believe you were looking to house a garden eel or something like that in it. That said there are a lot of other cool fish you can get until you're able to upgrade. I don't have to worry about parental permission, but my wife has been good so far with 3 SW tanks in the house. I'd like my 125G, but not ready to push that issue yet :p

He couldn't house any tang besides a kole eye or bristle tooth in a 75 for life. All other tangs need at least a 120 to thrive. If it is yellow tangs that he really wants, then I would advise saving for a 120 and you could keep one-three yellow tangs easily.

Ok then, looks like I'll wait. Right now I've got two clowns and two little wrasses.

nxb161 said:
That said there are a lot of other cool fish you can get until you're able to upgrade.
do you have anything particular to recommend?

There are still plenty of interesting fish you can keep in, check out liveaquaria or saltwaterfish.com and look around. Take a look and see if you like anything else and feel free to ask anyone about their experiences with them.

Purevil21 said:
He couldn't house any tang besides a kole eye or bristle tooth in a 75 for life. All other tangs need at least a 120 to thrive. If it is yellow tangs that he really wants, then I would advise saving for a 120 and you could keep one-three yellow tangs easily.

Ur right, I have seen them live good in 75's but a 120 would be awesome. Nice again it would come down to different experiences, and again it might stress the fish out. Just trying to give the kid some hope about his dream tang...

Back
Top Bottom