Tang Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I may be getting ahead of myself but I am setting up my first aquarium so I am trying to semi plan out some fish. I was hoping to have a couple yellow, purple and Blue tangs a in the tank together but from what I read on the fish website they are aggressive toward each other. Except for the blue tang. Are they that aggressive toward each other or is the store just covering there bases? My tank is 550 gallons so they will have room to be away from each other. I was hoping someone has dealt with them together. Also any fish suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You

i dont think they are that aggressive towards each other if you have enough room and hiding places, which 550 gallons i think would be enought. Man am i jealous :roll:

The potential for problems is there. With that large of a system you should be okay if they are provided with lots of LR and hiding places but you just never know. The main problems with be with the purple and yellows since they share the same body shape.

Like Lando said, get tangs that have different shapes and colors as it will reduce aggression.

I had a blue, yellow and purple in my tank. I got the blue first, then the yellow then the purple. My yellow and purple were okay with each other but my blue tang went after the purple. Had to put a glass up in the tank for about a week till they got used to each other. After that they were okay with each other, just every once in a while the blue would chase the purple. With a tank as large as yours, I would think you would be able to have several. I think the pictures of the 850 show several tangs together, even ones of the same kind. I would only suggest that you buy them young, ie small, so they won't pick on each other. HTH

good luck, can't wait to see the pictures~~

Brenden said:
My tank is 550 gallons so they will have room to be away from each other. I was hoping someone has dealt with them together. Also any fish suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You

I have a 450g with 380 lbs of LR. So far I only have one Yellow Tang but I plan to add additional Tangs in the future. I am taking my time with this tank. Have you had many other aquariums before this 550g? If not you are like me, I jumped in there with a 450 because I got it from a family member for a good price. Also, do you have all the other goodies that you will need for the tank, such as protein skimmer, lights, UV, LR, etc.??
If you don't you will soon find out that these items will cost more than the tank (this hurt when I realized this).

Anyway, good luck with the tank and have fun and most of all be patient.

Regards,
Pete R.

I was told, when I bought my tangs, to either introduce them all in the tank at the same time or take the ones you have out and rearrange your tank and add them and the new tang at the same time. They said that way non of them will be territorial. That worked for me.

You should be OK with that size tank. But like someone said earlier there is potential for trouble. Be aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom