Tang Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry, IMO that is not big enough for those 2
If you want two tangs, try a different body type for one of them. Like a Naso, Kole,
Convict for example. Your odds of peace and harmony would increase tremendously.

As Hara said ...try a different body type. I had issues introducing similar body types. I think you would always have aggression issues if you got two. PS. My convict tang is the most personable fish in the tank. It will even let me "pet" him/her.

Thought I would tack a similar tang question onto this thread. I have a 120 gallon reef tank (220 lbs LR) with a Blue Regal (Hippo) Tang. Would a Powder Blue work in a tank of this size with a hippo. I've asked this before, but I'm still looking for as much info as I can get on it. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a hippo and was going to add a PBT. The guy I was purchasing it from told me he did not want to sell it to me because I would regret it due to aggression. I did some asking and reading and then purchased a blonde naso. My tank is 525 so I would definitely avoid it in a 120 unless it was the only tang.

Thanks Brenden. That is one thing I'm concerned about (aggression from the PBT). I'm also worried about stressing the PBT in a 120 gal with another tang already in it. I keep getting mixed feedback on this, but I'm thinking my tank is just too small for a PBT and a Hippo. The Hippo is doing well and I don't want to mess him up. I like the Naso also, and would go that way, but I think my tank is definitely too small for that tang. Another option I've been thinking is the Kole. Maybe that would be a better choice as far as compatability with the hippo in a 120 gal tank.

I had a Kole and Hippo in a 55g for a few years... they got along fine in the tank and I never had aggression issues with them... even in a tank that was too small to house them both. :oops:

The Hippo and Kole are my favorites BTW!

I love my convict tang. It is the most personable fish I have and will even let me pet it. I have a pic of him in my gallery. Other options are a yellow, or a foxface. You will have no agression problems with those.

Interesting... I had a Yellow tang when I first got into the hobby a few years ago. Wasn't that agrressive when I first got him, but after he was in the tank for a while, I could not introduce a new fish without him beating the you know what out of it. I finally had to give him away. I've been afraid of getting a yellow tang ever since, but maybe I just got one that had a bad personality. Thanks Floirda8 for your information. My gut is telling me to avoid the PBT and go with the Kole. I better listen to that, because everytime I've ignored what my gut has told me with respect to this hobby, I've always had trouble. Thanks agian for the info.

The LFS store told me that housing multiple tangs in one tank is a matter of luck and size of the tank and size of the tang. I was lucky enough to buy all of my tangs at a pretty small size and all were in the same tank at the LFS. I have a Purple, 2 blues, a yellow, and a PBT. My LFS store even said that this group of tangs dont usually go together well and i was lucky to get the whole group of tangs from him. It seems if they are well fed they are less agressive.

Back
Top Bottom