tangs and triggers ....... a good mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyprettyoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a picasso trigger,Niger trigger,porcupine puffer and a valentini puffer. None of my fish act aggressive towards eachother and seem very calm , Do you think it would be a bad idea to put a tang in with my fish if I got a large and hardy tang such as a yellow or brown tang. I have algae in my tank and places to hide so my only concern is how the tang would do in my tank with my triggers and puffers? Thanks

Difficult to say, as that is already a large load of fish. What size tank is this...filtration...etc?

as for them getting along no probs imo i have a yellow in with puffers and triggers the prob i see is if your not on top of ya water might have probs with the tang and ick !! tangs can hold their own and the triggers i think know this or see the spikes heheh my yellow will even chase the panther grouper out of his spot and the grouper could prob eat him if he really wanted to but tang has no fear :)

Once again, it is not safe to say if they will get along without knowing the tank size. Livestock that would otherwise tolerate each other in a large tank, will "kill or be killed" in one much smaller. Fish are predisposed to claiming territory, and their interactions are more often than not linked to the availability of such.

yea tangs r tuff lil buggers, i kno a person who had a powder blue tang that killed a lunre wrasse. he was having nitrate probs and his fish started to fight. by the time he got it under controll the tang "ate" the wrasse 8O didnt touch his clown trigger tho :D

hoops sorry i agree hate to see someone try to pack them in a 55 gallon for sure they will get at each other

I currently keep a small sailfin tang and a small niger trigger together and I havent had any problems as far as aggression..The sailfin was added first then the niger.. they are in a 125g with a coral beauty, a potters angel, a christmas wrasse, and 2 purple damsels...........

hate to see someone try to pack them in a 55 gallon
agreed my buddy had a 155g and they still went after 1 another in a 55g it would b a bloodbath!! just cuz da fish r happy now dont mean they will b happy with another addition or wen they get older and bigger and hungrier...

thank you for your advice , but my fish are very small and I have a 100 gallon tank . Do you thihnk it is best not to try and mix the two fish? Thanks Jenn :D

I realize your fish are small now, but when planning livestock you have to make choices based on the adult size of the fish. IMO, with the four fish you have chosen already, you have reached the limit for your 100g tank. They are not going to remain small for very long.

Back
Top Bottom