Tangs for 55 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a 55 gallon and dream of some day having a tang. I'll have to upgrade first though. There are tons of cool other fish!

If you are just doing fish only, you can look at dwarf angels that have similar body types, though if you are doing corals I would advise against it as they often nip and damage corals.

You CAN get a small Hippo Tang. Just don't plan on having it for years, you're gonna have to give it away/sell it when it gets bigger.

The smallest tank I would ever put a tang in would be a 4 footer and that's with a future upgrade in mind, there are tons of other awesome fish out there

The thing you have to think about tangs are very prone to stress related disease ich can be stress related but things like lateral line disease and hold in the head. I would rather not have a fish in my healthy tank rather than risking all my fish just so I can have one that is unsuitable for my tank.

Not all tangs are reef safe either I have heard of several taking to munching on zoas.

I have heard of that as well. If you can justify a small tang, a hippo would be my last choice. They are one of the ones that are most prone to stress related illness.

Just picked up a real small sail fin tang from my lfs my tank is a 24 cube he said that it's fine when he gets to big it's a good thing because he's healthy and lived he says when he gets to big bring him back and trade him in for a small one !! He's happy and at least I know I can take care of him u should see the people buying fish when I was there a guy picked up a hippo and a clown for a 10 gal tank with no filter just live rock and a light !! Did not know what cycling means !!! I told him thell be dead by Monday !!!! So they sold him some bio starter anyway don't let ur tank size limit you in what u want when they outgrow it u just have to have no attachment and replace the fish for a smaller one

Smithcinema said:
Just picked up a real small sail fin tang from my lfs my tank is a 24 cube he said that it's fine when he gets to big it's a good thing because he's healthy and lived he says when he gets to big bring him back and trade him in for a small one !! He's happy and at least I know I can take care of him u should see the people buying fish when I was there a guy picked up a hippo and a clown for a 10 gal tank with no filter just live rock and a light !! Did not know what cycling means !!! I told him thell be dead by Monday !!!! So they sold him some bio starter anyway don't let ur tank size limit you in what u want when they outgrow it u just have to have no attachment and replace the fish for a smaller one

Ya problem is you will get attatched to that fish and wont give it back. Its not your fault its just natural

We need to put that salesman for salesman of the year. He must be the top salesman in the store since most of the fish will have a miserable shortened life. I hope you reconsider keeping the tang and get something more appropriate for your tank. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sailfin Tang, Desjardini now a sailfin is suppose to be in a 180 gallon tank and you have it in something that is less than 1/8 that size:deadhorse:

Dude, really? A sailfin for a 24? Are you crazy? Not only should that fish be in a tank 7 or 8 times that size, but its a semi aggressive fish as a bonus.

I'd like to see that salesman given the same treatment he's arranged for that fish to have (and I've used the metaphor before). Let him life his life alone...in a bathroom...where the toilet doesn't flush.

Smithcinema said:

Hahaha thats funny, because your sail fin will be dead by monday in that size tank. Give it to a better home

How do u figure it's a inch big when he's 3in I'll bring him back for another one !! Im not keeping a 18" fish in a 24 they don't grow that quick ill have him at least a year

No no no no no.

No tangs at all in there.

I was in my LFS yesterday and there was a guy asking if he could put 1 in a red sea max 130.

Unlike most LFS mine actually care about the welfare of the livestock they sell and the boss told him in no uncertain terms if he wants tangs he needs a 6ft tank minimum.

Why don't people research before they buy tanks or fish.

Put a tang in your 55 and it will have ich before it even hits the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom