tangs in the wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dary421

Aquarium Advice Addict
with all the intrest on acquiring yellow tangs for your tanks,..i thought you might like to see a couple of pictures that i took of them in Hawaii a year or so ago,..its really nice to observe them everyday in your home aquarium but its fantastic to see them in their natural enviroment also,..i took these while we snorkled in about 20-30 feet of water,..they usually roam in rather large groups and you will see them in just a foot or two of water to over 30 feet,....a great little critter to watch

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. A lot of folks dont know that tangs in the wild are schooling fish. We just cant have them as schooling because we are limited by our tanks. In the wide open sea they are. I love my tangs.

here is a couple of more interesting pictures you might enjoy,...this i believe is a "cleaning station" and as you can see there's alot of our aquarium buddies using the facilities,....I've had the pleasure of snorkeling in hawaii for the the last ten years ,so it's really cool to see how the actual fish intermingle with the whole enviroment,....i've got a ton of pictures that i can share with you guys,..from the fishes stand point of course

That is neat, I forget what Nature show I was watching where other fish had to defend their "algae feeding spot" from the big school of yellow tangs that would come down and wipe it all out in a matter of hours. Very cool to watch.

My gosh, what beautiful fish!

One thing I've always wondered about though, is what size tank you'd need for a small group, like say six or so?

Back
Top Bottom