tangs....love em..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 100 gallon with 1 false perc, 1 yellow tailed damsel (very nice fish to by the way), 1 velvet dottieback, and 1 regal tang (that is about 2 inches long). the tang has been in there with the dottieback for only about 3 months now.
My question is can I add another tang and what kind? Should I put 2 other tangs in with the regal at the same time? If there is going to be major aggression i dont want to chance it and will go with another fish. I love my tang and want to protect him.
Thanks

Hard to tell with the agression, depends on the new fish. Regals are not particularly aggresive, especially when young. With Tangs, its kind of pot luck with the aggressivness.
You could put a Yellow, Kole Eye or maybe a Powder Blue in there.
Its the right sequence with the more aggessive fish going last
Good luck!!

Well I just want one more tang if possible. i would LIKE a powder blue but was told that this would not be a good idea? I may just go with a yellow tang.
Also i want to add a firefish i think and maybe one to two other small fish. I have 4 total fish now and would like about 2-3 more....that would give me the max given that the tangs will grow into the tank in the next few years...(not that it matters but I have a 40 gallon sump/fuge so technically speaking I have a 140 gallon tank). BUT i dont want to max it out either...

yeah I took it that way...sorry I think we confused each other!! I dont know if I want to take a chance or not. I think I will consider a yellow...
Do you have a regal and pwder blue together...Anyone??

IMHO You would be taking your chances with two tangs in a tank that size. More that the actual capacity of your system (tank and fuge) these fish are active swimmers and need a lot of room. Minimum size is usually 1 in a tank of about 90-110G. Keep in mind that Powder Blue is more Ich prone than others. Meaning it is an easily stressed tang. Yellows are one of the more aggressive of the Tangs, so he may definitely have a problem with sharing his space with a cousin. I would stick to just the one tang in the tank. HTH 8)

Sam
not to be aurumentative, but I had always heard that the Regal was the most ick prone??? not that it matters really....anyway the ONLY reason Im considering another tang is its a 100 gallon tank but is 5 ft long so this is a lot of room per say as far as swimming. Every time I think about this, I keep thinking I may just get some really pretty docile fish and be done with it....I really like my regal and he seems happy with his friends now....

Sam is right about the powder blue being the most ich prone. I hate it too, I really want to get one in a future, bigger tank. :wink:

Fishman, No offense taken, we are all just sharing opinions and advice based on our experience. You ultimately have to make the decision you are most comfortable with. :) You may want to also see the fish profile section, there is a write up there on the PB. Some good information on this one and on tangs in general. HTH 8)

Yeah the more I read and think about it, I think the powder blue idea is out...bummed!!what would you guys think about the yellow tang then?? They are most agressive and would be adding him last....would there be an issue? I would buy one thats small as my regal is still a baby as well...

I know you are dying to get another one, but remember that they do not stay small for long :) I have a Naso Tang in my 135 (I call her Princess) as she rules the tank :D Anyway she is now about 7+ inches, having doubled in size in less than a year. Very active swimmer, as are all tangs. Your choice, you can take your chances with the yellow and just keep an eye on territorial behavior. However you should accept that you may have to return one or separate them. Good luck with whatever you decide. Cheers 8)

Ok you guys!! your not helping convince me that I NEED another one!!! :D :D
Well, I do appreciate the honesty though. I guess I will not buy another one and just get other cool fish. After all I do like my regal and want her to be happy - and that she is now so I should not press the issue....
SO, now that no more tangs in the picture, what other fish are cool? I dont really like angels, havent had good luck with bleenies(lawnmower)....what others are cool and why?

Well I have somewhat of the same dilemma you face. I have a reef setup and even though I only have some shrooms and a blastomussa in there now, I do plan to add other corals and an anemone or two. While I would love to have had a long nose, or an auriga butterfly fish, I can't. Too I would have loved to have a flame angel, but I can't. What I have been looking at that are compatible with a reef set up are:

Mandarin - beautiful but need lots of LR for food. My tank is now a year old
Wrasse - one or more of a flasher variety
Black cap basslet or a Royal Gramma
Red or Blue Starfish
Firefish
I always have to see what is compatible with my corals, snails and my cleaner shrimp. Paid too much for them to be dessert. :)

How about a Butterfly? I have 2 Heni's, a ton of personality and no aggression issues whatsoever.

I thought butterfly's were bad for a reef setup. If they are ok to have please correct me, as it would be a bueatiful addition to my tank :D

The Heniochus diphreutes, is not a coral picker. The hard part is making sure it is the right species.
Very hearty too.

Ya, Qshark makes a good point. The Heniochus Butterfly is very beautiful, adn would make a nice addition to your tank. You also would not have to worry about the aggression. :wink:

At one time I had a naso tang-sail fin tang -yellow tang and a unicorn tang, no problems there ,you have to go with different tangs, in other words you cant put two nasa or two sail fins or ect ,they will fight, the only exception is yellow tangs
as you will see in store you can more then one as long as you have at least 5 or more other then that you should be fine, keep in mind there are tangs that should be added in as a last fish as they will not allow any other fish to be added
, yellow tang-soho tang-purple tang and in some cases sailfin tang should be added last
I have a sailfin that I still have, the others I had to give away as they got so big I could not keep them in my 125 gal any more so I gave them to a budy who has a 400 gal tank
anyway my sail fin as become so mean that he has killed any medium to large fish I have put in there, list of fish he killed, adult emporer angel-hog fish-coral beauty angel-flame angel
I dont want to get rid of my sailfin since I've had him for several years so I have decided to wait a bit and when I am ready I will get a few fish I want one of them being a soho tang which is the king of nasty of tangs and will take over the tank there for I wont have to worry about the salfin bothering the new fish as he will be going threw training camp with the king soho and the new fish will be fine

I would double check on the Heni in a reef system. That is a 'proceed with caution' SPS/LPS I think is a part of their natural diet,so if you have a reef set up, the recommendation is to stay away from all butterflys, YMMV, this is just based on all of the information I have read on them :)

Back
Top Bottom