Tank Appearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manooosie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking into starting a saltwater tank, and I have noticed some funky algae growing on the glass in some pictures of sw tanks. I plan on having a 55g fowlr tank, and don't want all that crap on the glass. Is it a reef thing, or is it something you have to put up with and clean all the time if you don't want it there?

well, it all depends... My tank had very little AFTER it was cycled and I learned to keep all things in moderation, food, fish etc... The small normal amount of growth can also be kept in check with a good clean up crew and certain algae grazing fish. I don't know about everyone else, but I have had minimal need to clean the inside of my tank often ... a little swipe here and there with a mag. cleaner and I'm good to go.

HTH,
Kimberly

Don't put any live rock into your tank. Use all base. The funky stuff (purple?) is probably coraline algae and has to be scraped to be kept off of the glas as it grows anywhere. In order to get it into your tank you have to put it there. Once you put it there it spreads like mad under ideal conditions. I'm guessing you'll come to love that funky algae in due time! Otherwise "base" rock will turn live enough over time and you can keep that funky stuff at bay!

I have a couple of questions about base rock. Can it be any old rock from your backyard after your give it a scrub? Isn't one of the advantages to live rock is a cleaner tank? If LR puts that crap in your tank, why would you use it if you dont have coral?

I'm sure someone else can answer this better but, no not any old rock can go in your tank. some can bleed things that are harmful into your tank water over time - no matter how good a scrub they got. SOme will change the PH and such of your water as well. LR is 110% beneficial and is NOT the cause of yuck looking 'crap' ... thats usually from cycling which all tanks do or lack of care and maintainance. You will usually have a cleaner tank with LR - with or with out corals.

Back
Top Bottom