Tank at 2 1/2 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's my tank at 2 1/2 months.... Have a small aptasia problem but just put 15 peppermint shrimp in so we'll see how that works out...

Attachments

• image-2337317163.jpg
    image-2337317163.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 214
  • image-1020518538.jpg
    image-1020518538.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 205
  • image-2602931705.jpg
    image-2602931705.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 200
  • image-432209182.jpg
    image-432209182.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 214
  • image-3200622583.jpg
    image-3200622583.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 207
Ive heard of all sorts of injections but the easiest and cheapest seemed to be an injection of hot water, and I would suggest a Midas blenny, because I  them

Aptasia-x is what I'm currently using to battle the little suckers. You use a syringe and inject a liquid, that when it hits the saltwater turns to a glue-like substance, into the mouth of the aptasia. Works immediately, is safe for the rest of your tank, and is borderline fun to do lol. As far as the shrimp, according to my lfs (who is actually quite knowledgeable and not just trying to sell stuff) and what I've found, the peppermint shrimp is imported from the atlantic or pacific and its the atlantic peppermint shrimp that eats them. Though some are still better than others at the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind getting a copperband butterfly fish... They are beautiful and they eat aptasia

Once they eat it all they are usually a hard fish to keep because they are finicky eaters and sometimes won't take to prepared foods

I had a small aiptasia problem in my 15 gallon nano, got a one peppermint shrimp and within 2 days I couldn't find any aiptasia and now he seems to eat anything I put in the tank from mysis to flake food, maybe I just got lucky, but my experience with a peppermint shrimp was great.

I had quite the outbreak of aiptasia in my 120g during the cycle. As part of the CUC after the cycle I bought 3 peppermint shrimp and within about 5 days there were none left in the DT. I have a few in my sump/refugium but they don't come up to the DT...or if they do my gang of 3 takes care of it. I've just found that you have to make sure you get peppermint shrimp and not the camel back that looks similar.

Good luck...Steve

Well since I have a stock of 8 the shrimp like to not eat aptasia as they are spoiled with my frozen foods ... My lfs recommended to not feed fir 48 hours but yesterday I bought a blue regal tang so I had to feed... But the 48 will start tomorrow( poor fish )

I have a 150 gallon I plan on converting to in the month or so... Herbivore but eats shrimp like a champ

Everything I put into my tank is pre mixed or ready( pre made water, premium live rock, etc...) plus I have my own R/O unit so great water at all times = healthy fish

Back
Top Bottom