Tank Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29 gallon saltwater reef with various corals, shrimp, fish, and crabs, and lots of live rock and lava rock. I just got a good deal on a 38 gallon tank and stand and want to move the reef over to that since it is 6 inches longer, and wider than the 29 gallon.

I added new crushed coral and some new live sand to the new tank with about 20 gallons of water or less. I let that sit over night with a powerhead on it to give it current and airation.

If I move the majority of the water from my old tank, all the live rock and lava rock from my old tank, all the power heads, power filters, heater etc from my old tank to the new, should'nt that make for a pretty painless change over without the need to re-cycle the tank.

My assumption is, since the vast majority of the water would be the same water, and all the lava rock and live rock is the same, and it is all cured since the tank has been running for about one year, that this will equate to little more than a large volume water change.

any ideas?

You should have not have a problems doing this. Get a large rubbermaide tubb and move your LR and corals onto that along with some tank water. Put your fish and inverts in a 5gal bucket with the rest of the tank water. Move your exsisiting substrate to the new tank and ay left over water. Put the rock in and add some more water. set up your filter, PHs, heater and other hardware to the tank. replace corals and fish and you are done. You can expect the water to be cloudy for a couple of days from the distruption of the substrate. You should not experience a cycle. Good luck in the move...Lando

Since you added a new substrate already, I would try and use some of the old and put that on top of the new. Then just transfer everything like Lando said.

I just moved my 75 gal and basically removed everything and then put it back. All went well.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom