Tank Cleaner packages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randalp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking of purchasing a tank cleaner package sometime in the near future, similar to the one's that liveaquaria.com and marinedepotlive.com offer. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=25&pCatId=420).

My question is, is it ok to so many crabs and snails at one time? Looks to be about 30 to 40 added at once. I been looking for information about how to go about adding these to a tank, and can't find much. If anyone can give me some advice or share a link to some information, I would greatly appreciate it.

when i set up a 55 i got a Mega Algae Attack Pack from liveaquaria
bioload wise it is okay to add all the stuff that comes in it at once (i asked a few people the same thing when i was thinking about ordering it)
as far as what comes in it, I thought it was way too much, they cleaned my tank in a matter of days and with the amount of snails it did not look too good to me because they were just everywhere
I ended up trading in a bunch of the turbos to the LFS
I just cycled my 90 and am expecting a clean up crew tomorrow...i ordered from etropicals, and made my own pack with less snails then they recommend because like i said i thought it was too much

I've heard that from several people. Go with a kit designed for an aquarium smaller than what you have.

ClamKnuckle said:
when i set up a 55 i got a Mega Algae Attack Pack from liveaquaria
bioload wise it is okay to add all the stuff that comes in it at once (i asked a few people the same thing when i was thinking about ordering it)
as far as what comes in it, I thought it was way too much, they cleaned my tank in a matter of days and with the amount of snails it did not look too good to me because they were just everywhere
I ended up trading in a bunch of the turbos to the LFS
I just cycled my 90 and am expecting a clean up crew tomorrow...i ordered from etropicals, and made my own pack with less snails then they recommend because like i said i thought it was too much

I have a 55 Gallon now. How many crabs and snails do you guys suggest I get? Also, what kind of crabs and snails should i get, again any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of building my own package using etropicals as well. I also thought the recommended number of snails and crabs seems like too much.

I had the same problem my tank was 65 gal and I bought the 55 gal pack. My tank was covered in algae, 36 hours later clean. A week later the snails started to die off due to lack of food. IMO start with the 30 gal pack or lower you can always buy more later. Better than starving them to death. If your tank is clean now shoot real low you will be amazed how much algae a few snails can eat everyday. 8O

Well i got my cleaners today from etropicals. I was much happier with the last pack I got. I did not get everything I ordered, and some of the snails I ordered came as the correct snail shells but have hermits inside, I can not tell what type yet because I havent turned my lights on in the tank. I emailed them to complain and am waiting for a response.

ClamKnuckle said:
Well i got my cleaners today from etropicals. I was much happier with the last pack I got. I did not get everything I ordered, and some of the snails I ordered came as the correct snail shells but have hermits inside, I can not tell what type yet because I havent turned my lights on in the tank. I emailed them to complain and am waiting for a response.

Let me know what you find out. I am very curious because i am considering buying from etropicals as well.

They gave me a refund on the stuff i was missing...well a credit anyway
That includes the "snails" that I received that were really hermits.

Atleast you got a refund. I guess its cheaper for them to refund you as oppose to resending you the correct critters, but now you still dont have what you intended and the cost of shipping to order the correct critters is going to cost you more $$$. :(

I guess you can't win them all :roll:

But look on the bright side, you got some free hermits to eat more detritus which will be lower 'trates which = less algae your fewer snails have to eat :p

But look on the bright side, you got some free hermits to eat more detritus which will be lower 'trates which = less algae your fewer snails have to eat

That's true, but I have no idea what kind they are...They aren't the blue leg, red leg, or scarlet and that's the only kind I can tell by looking at them. So I have no idea how safe they will be in a reef tank, so i put them in my 55 fowlr

Common red leg hermits (Cilibanarius sp.) and Scarlet Hermits (Paguristes cadenati) are completely different species. The scarlet hermit is easily identified by the bright yellow eye stalks. Paguristes cadenati is also much safer in a reef environment and less likely to damage corals in it's persuits of food and will not prey on snails as a rule. All hermits are opportunistic feeders and will kill when necessary so none should be considered completely reef safe. Some species are just more "reef friendly" if you will.

Cheers
Steve

I received my order from etropicals on saturday. The order was filled correctly, and everything was alive. I got a bunch of snails and crabs, I also got 1 shrimp. They already appear to have eaten 1/3 to 1/2 of the algae.

A few of the snails seem to want to hangout just barely above the water line, not sure if that is normal? but they seem to be fine once they move back down.

I can't complain, If you spend $60 they overnight ship for free, although it did cost me $10 to have it delivered on saturday, but its worth it to me, since that is the only day i can be home during the day.

I know this post is a bit late but all I did was go to the LFS and got 6 margarita snails and two dozen reef hemits for my clean-up crew. This was a lot more cost effective then ordering on-line and worked fine. On one order I made to liveaquaria I did have them throw in 12 scarlet cleaners for some color. It is amazing what people think of a red crab that eats left over crap in the tank. All of the company seems to love them. I did some research on the cleaner packs and thought they were way over-priced.

I checked out that link to the cleaners...sounds like a good deal, but I've heard mixed things about people putting snails in a SW tank at all. Even if it's just one, they can reproduce asexually, and I've heard of one person who claims he had a breakout and stripped his tank clean of all algae growth in a little over a month. I definitely don't want this to happen. Maybe instead of risking a snail takeover, substitute a Chocolate-chip Star? I've heard they clean algae off glass and vertical surfaces.

--Aquabear

AquaBear said:
I've heard mixed things about people putting snails in a SW tank at all. Even if it's just one, they can reproduce asexually, and I've heard of one person who claims he had a breakout and stripped his tank clean of all algae growth in a little over a month. I definitely don't want this to happen.
True many can reproduce asexually, especially predaceous species but having what was told to you actually happen is increadibley rare. Snails will quite commonly lay eggs or broadcast reproductive matter into the water column depending on species. It rarely if ever results in much. The odds in the home aquarium are greatly stacked against their successful growth to any size large enough to be recognized.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just not probable. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom