Tank crash, please help i have no idea what to do and things are facing death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
you all know i was without power for 3 days, when i got it back i ran the light filter and heater. I have been testing the water, no amo, trates 10(ish)
but trites 1 ppm

please help is there anything i can do to stop the loss of life??????

how will that help, i have a filter running, should i also put in the air raider,

i have 5 gallans of water that was in the tank and three gallons of unused saltwater, which is better?

By keeping the water moving your rebuilding any loss of the bacteria needed to keep the nitrites nitrates and ammonia at 0. You're basically going through a mini cycle, water changes would be a good idea if the bacteria can't keep your parameters at a safe level. Just keep everything going, and keep testing the water.

zacheyp said:
i have 5 gallans of water that was in the tank and three gallons of unused saltwater, which is better?

I would do a 3 gallon water change now and make more if possible.

Not to change the subject or jack your thread, but my power came back. ALOT of dieoff, should be experiencing my own mini cycle soon. Really looking forward to it haha

I would think you'd be fine with a heater and a power head. That's all I ever do. I have had power outages for 3 days many of times. In the middle of winter to

I would think you'd be fine with a heater and a power head. That's all I ever do. I have had power outages for 3 days many of times. In the middle of winter to

what about a filter??

I never bothered with my filter. Just cleaned It before using it again to get rid of the die off

Just empty it, rinse it out with tapwater, replace media, put it back in the tank, prime the pump (if needed) and plug in. It doesn't need to be scrubbed down.

If you have a sponge that was in there for bacteria purposes, rinse that in saltwater, either from your tank or with fresh saltwater, and squeeze it out a couple of times.

I wouldn't use tapwater ...just clean it in old tank water...and don't replace it unless its physically falling apart...no sense

I wouldn't use tapwater ...just clean it in old tank water...and don't replace it unless its physically falling apart...no sense

The only reason you want to clean with tank water vs. tap water is to preserve the bacteria that is alive.

After 3 hours without power, I doubt that much bacteria made it. Even of those that did, they are surrounded with death.

The mini cycle is caused by the bacteria die off, and as such, you want to clean a canister filter completely.

Do water changes as much as possible to keep nitrites at or near undetectable and everything should pull through.

made it through the miny cycle, everything lived!!!!

Back
Top Bottom