Tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently set up my 275 gallon tank about a month ago and now it seems to be stuck in the nitrite stage. It's been there for about 2 weeks, is this normal ? I used dry rock and the stuff was pretty nasty. I have been dosing bacteria from Bottle to help seed the tank. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to do or anything I can do to help this process move to the 3rd stage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It happens sometimes and isn't abnormal to see a 'stall' with nitrites. Make sure you are still providing the ammonia source and it will keep progressing forward.

Ok sounds good, what should I use as an ammonia source ? Can I use raw shrimp in a stocking ?

this article has lots of info.
Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

check the temp, ph, phosphate level (nitrobactor needs phosphate) and even though considered a bit crazy and frowned upon today, a little urine does wonders for a cycle. ;) from the above article;
"Nutriment
All species of Nitrosomonas use ammonia (NH3) as an energy source during its conversion to nitrite (NO2). Ammonia is first converted (hydrolyzed) to an amine (NH2) compound then oxidized to nitrite. This conversion process allows Nitrosomonas to utilize a few simple amine compounds such as those formed by the conversion of ammonia by chemical ammonia removers.
Nitrosomonas is capable of utilizing urea as an energy source.
All species of Nitrobacter use nitrites for their energy source in oxidizing them to nitrate (NO3)."

pure ammonia does not contain any urea or uric acid like actual urine does.
don't forget, ammonia is the first by-product of the breakdown of urine.
That is one reason I suspect some fishless cycles stall.
We don't pee pure ammonia.:eek:

But check out the article, lots of good info.

Cool, so I put 3 pieces of raw shrimp inside of 3 panty hose do you think that will get it kick started ? And how long should I leave them in the tank ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so my tank finally cycled, ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 and I have low nitrates, should I do a water change and is my tank ready to turn on the lights and add some fish ?

I definitely would do a PWC and then slowly add your fish and a small clean up crew. A 275 will hold a bunch of fish but don't do it all at one time. What will your tankmates be. Any plan yet?

Thanks I'm thinking about getting about 10 chromis 10 anthias 1 blue tang 1 black tang 2 swallowtail Angels 1 powder brown tang 1 tomini tang 3 fire fish 1 black cap Basslet 5 banggai cardinals and a couple of pink spotted diamond gobies.
So is it safe for me to turn on the lights now ? And how much water should I take out and change ?

My suggestion would be about a 25% change for now and then 10% every other week after that. Even though a 275 is large I believe that still is too many fish. I would just do the anthias for the schooling fish and maybe not the cardinals. I had a pink spotted goby for 15 years and they have quite a personality. My suggestion would be to get the Lyretail anthias.

Back
Top Bottom