Tank emergency. Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donniea1800

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have a 50 gallon reef that has been set up for about 4 or 5 years. Tank has been doing great. I have SPS, LPS, two rock anemones, one clam, and several polyps and mushrooms. So this morning the lights had just come on and I took a look at the tank to check things out like every morning. Everything looked fine, corals were out, fish were swimming, and the goby and pistol were digging around. So I watched TV for about an hour and walked by the tank and the water looked hazy white. It is always crystal clear. I figured the pistol maybe stirred the sand up and did not pay much attention. About an hour later the tank was so cloudy white and could hardly see into it. The skimmer was also going nuts. The fish were of course freaked out and hiding but looked fine. All the lps and polyps were still out and SPS still had polyps out. What would cause this to happen so fast? I immediately did water test and nothing was out of the ordinary. Could this be a bacteria bloom? I don't run pellets or carbon dose. Could something have spawned?

Of course nothing bad happens when you can do something about it. I had to go to work so I cannot do a water change until tomorrow. What are your thoughts? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Nope no macro algae at all. I am thinking bacteria bloom or something spawned. Do bacteria blooms come on that fast?

Sounds like either macro algae going sexual or a bacterial bloom. Activated carbon and a water change should make it all fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom