Tank Hot w/o heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eojonescb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is staying around 82-84 degrees without my heater. How is this possible? My room temperature never goes higher than 72-74 and I was forced to keep a fan on my tank to attempt cooling it. Since that, it doesnt reach 84 anymore but it still stays at 82. I thought it was my lighting but its not, it still stays hot without it on. its not next to a heater or source of heat of any kind, ive already thought of every external influence that may be possible. I am led to believe maybe its the abundance of microorganisms? What else could be possible that I am not thinking of? I find it really strange and Im about to totally run through the whole tank to try to "reset" it if you will.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Several possibilities come to mind. Does your tank have a glass cover? If so it could be contributing. What are you using for a thermometer? I have found that those "stick on" color change ones are not too accurate. For about $10 you can get a coralife digital thermometer to veryify your reading. Try it in a few different places in your tank. If you have powerheads in your tank, touch them. Are they warm?

Wut kind of lighting do u have?? Pumps and powerheads make heat so depending on the size of your tank and the number of pumps that might be the issue. Also do u have a UV on your tank that will also warm the water slightly. It would help us a lot more if u update your "my info" section so we can see the details about your tank.

True submersible pumps and uv units can increase the water temperature. If you don't have these you may want to start thinking about a chiller or more fans before summer arrives.

that could be the problem- i do have a UV sterilizer. Maybe my filter/pump/ and uv need to be cleaned again. I know I need to do it soon because its been about 2 months, so Ill get on that and see if it helps. thanks.

Interested in knowing if that works. Let us know the outcome.

Clip on fans are a wonderful thing. Just blow across the top. I have a UV light and temp stays 75 all yr long.

My 125 was bouncing from 79-83, so I got a floor fan and have it blowing across the top. Now it stays at about 79.

melosu58 said:
Clip on fans are a wonderful thing. Just blow across the top. I have a UV light and temp stays 75 all yr long.

I thought You couldn't have a UV light with a reef tank?!?!

-TheChad

I wouldn't even try to keep a reef aquarium without a UV. There are way too many little nasties and algae floating around and with the amount of money you can spend on corals and fish its not worth it to take chances. Its definitely a must have.

TheChad said:
I thought You couldn't have a UV light with a reef tank?!?!

Why? I`ve had a UV for all nine yrs I`ve had a reef tank. As JM said it helps to kill algea spores and parasites. that travel through the chamber. I`ve not had any algea or ick in 7+ yrs. Now before anyone says that the UV is a miracle machine I do not believe that the UV only is solely responsible. I also practice using RO/DI water, Feed every other day and have an excellent clean up crew. The UV is only a part of my aquarium husbandry but IMO an important one. Here is an article

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=31

JM said:
wouldn't even try to keep a reef aquarium without a UV... Its definitely a must have.
I would not say uv is absolutely necessary, as the article above points out also. I've never used one, and never had ich etc. or algae problems. There are people who don't use them purposely as Thechad pointed out. AFAIK they will affect pod populations along with any plankton that may be present in the water column. Both are good food sources for coral and other filter feeders. JMO

Jm is not the only one that believes that but we could be here forever arguing but you do bring up some good points about pods but IMO The good outweigh the bad but that is solely IMO. I understand your point also Mike.

I think it falls under the category of if it works for you then great but it doesn't work for me...so great! I did a lot of research on UV before I got into the SW and I was going to get one then I wasn't and then I was and then I wasnt...all becuase of the good vs the bad. Now I will have one on my Koi pond going in later this year!

Back
Top Bottom