tank needed to sustain a scooter dragonet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello everyone, i saw the tinyest scooter blenny(dragonet) at my lfs the other day. I have always wanted a mandarin but realize I cannot sustain one. Are red scooter dragonets just as hard to feed? Can my 35 long with 40 lbs of rock sustain one if he will not eat prepared? And lastly, I have a twinspot goby in there too, will they fight?

IMO if you can sustain a TSG, you can sustain a scooter. Unlike a mandarin that needs a healthy pod population, the scooter will scavange around the tank sifting through the sand and substrate for food. They're alot of fun. I have one in my tank.

i would highly suggest against a scooter. I am having the hardest time right now and the chances are that my scooter will starve. I am trying everything I can but it may still happen.

Carey, what's wrong with your scooter? How is he acting? Which tank do you have him in?

he is in my brand new 29g biocube. He was my first fish. he is very active, he's doing nothing but eating it seems. lol
I just dumped a bag of pods in for him so he won't starve in the next day or so at least.

I guess my previous post was misleading, I understand they eat pods as well, but unlike the madarin they do really well with frozen foods and just grazing. Some just take a while to understand that frozen foods are good!
I hope he does well Carey! I haven't had troubles with mine yet :knocksonwood:

I so hope youre right. The one I have is pretty much skin and bones when I look at him. He didnt seem too bad under the lfs's lights. lol

I am gonna keep trying target feeding and different frozen foods. he didn't like the pellets last night either. But then again maybe he's not hungry enough? I'm dying inside knowing he could starve. i feel like a total schmuck.

Have you tried quarantining him so he doesn't have any competitors for food? I hate feeling helpless when it comes to my fish. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks sergie, he's the only fish in the tank. :) I'm getting hopeful...guardedly, but still hopeful

I tried frozen baby brine, didnt even notice it. I bought a brine egg hatching kit today so I was gonna try that. i also don't have any garlic, I know I should, but i've never had a fish eating issue. lol

I think he ate a tiny bit of seafood blend frozen last night but can't be sure.
he is constantly on the rocks and I just tried pellet food, he passed it right by. The hermits are having a buffet though

The tank required to sustain a scooter dragonet is the same as the mandarin, they aren't both dragonets for no reason. They both feed solely on pods. With that said, 75G tank with 100+ lbs of rock, and an established system

The only difference I have heard between the two is the occasionally the scooter eats prepared more easily than a mandarin

I had a scooter when my tank was 2 months old. He ate prepared food, just wasn't prepared to be food for my lion fish. I was a newb

Back
Top Bottom