Tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My husband is passing by an idea to me, but i am not sure how it would work, so opinions are needed. My husband wants to combine our tanks. He wants to get a 265 and just have one tank. My tank inhabitants are listed in my signature. His are: 4 chromis, koran Angel, snowflake eel, and a pygmy angel. He WANTS to order a pakistan butterfly and clown tang.

Here are the questions:

1. Is a 265 large enough to house an Emperor and koran angelfish?
2. Also will the Tang get along with the tangs I have?
3. Is the tank large enough to get a butterfly with my sailfin in there (note the tang and butterfly has not been ordered).
4. Last question, will the eel (it's a baby right now) eat my fish? We feed it EVERY DAY, so as long as a do that will it be ok?

We already have the filtration taken care of, rock ect ect. All we would need is upgraded pumps, skimmer and chiller. Alex and his buddy Ray make damn good stands and hoods. So I am kinda diggin this idea. Opinions and foreseeable problems???

clowninround said:
He wants to get a 265 and just have one tank. My tank inhabitants are listed in my signature. His are: 4 chromis, koran Angel, snowflake eel, and a pygmy angel. He WANTS to order a pakistan butterfly and clown tang.

Here are the questions:

1. Is a 265 large enough to house an Emperor and koran angelfish?
Long term not the best idea. The imperator is not very accepting of similar fish species in general. As it gets older/larger it could present probelms. A 265 gal tank is definately a plus but the imperator will get upwards of 10-14". A possibility still but if you choose to do so, add them simultaniously and be prepared that one will most likely need to be removed eventually.

2. Also will the Tang get along with the tangs I have?
I would definately suggest against the clown tang idea. They are increadibley skiddish fish even for a tang, especially when young. They generally do not acclimate well to captive care and often refuse to eat. If you can get a healthy specimen that does adapt, you then need to worry about it's behavior as it grows. Small clown tangs are quite timid but as they age and settle in, they most always become quite beligerant. You would have trouble with the other tangs and the angel species.

3. Is the tank large enough to get a butterfly with my sailfin in there (note the tang and butterfly has not been ordered).
Chaetodon collare would actually be a fine addition but I would make sure it is established before the others are added. I would also suggest you get them in at least a pair. They will fair much better.

4. Last question, will the eel (it's a baby right now) eat my fish? We feed it EVERY DAY, so as long as a do that will it be ok?
Generally not an issue with other fish as long as the eel is fed which it appears it is. The main problem I find is with benthic species like your watchman. The eel is not above killing another for it's "burrow". You will also need to return the decorative inverts, the eel would make short work of those.

Cheers
Steve

The only problem i can see is you getting another tang and your snowflake eel and your pygmy angel. As you probably know your eels will get pretty big and will eat almost any fish that will fit in its mouth.

Your angels might not bother eachother due to the large tank size but still keep a close eye on them and remove one if necessary.

Actually contrary to popular belief, the smaller fish will be just fine. SFE's are actually quite lazy and will not bother /anymost fish species if kept properly fed. I seriously doubt the eel will be a concern in that regard at all.

Cheers
Steve

I tend to agree with steve, as always. Our friend has had a snowflake for over a year now with 6 chromis, damsels ect and no problems whatsoever. He actually took 8 months to eat just 1 of the 4 peppermint shrimp in his tank. The one my husband has is also in with chromis, no promblems either. However we feed him quite well.

My husband said nix the clown tang, but now threw in about a sohal???

We found a 240 long (96x24x25) at glasscages for 450 8O Better choice than the 7ft 265 correct?

flamingonhot said:
The only problem i can see is you getting another tang and your snowflake eel and your pygmy angel.

The snowflake will not bother the tang. You may have tang on tang aggression that may/maynot sort itself out. That would be a big concern.

clowninround said:
My husband said nix the clown tang, but now threw in about a sohal???
Tank size would not be the issue but rather conspecific fish "resemblance". The Sohal is a rather boisterous fish but generally does well when aquired small. The issue I see is with the Naso. They are very similar fish and Sohals are extermely intollerant of conspecies. They will often fight to the death.

We found a 240 long (96x24x25) at glasscages for 450 8O Better choice than the 7ft 265 correct?
When looking at a tank specifically for fish compatability, length/width are the main concerns, not simpley tank size. The 96" tank is good but depending on the dimensions of the 450, obviously better.

Cheers
Steve

For some reason this silly thing is not letting my post...hopefully this goes threw.

What can I get? I have a preference for tangs. I want at least one medium to large sized fish.

My husband says I am on my own. I am getting the tank, but he doesn't want to give up anything later on down the road, he really loves his angel as do I...so I guess we are having two tanks...not really sure how I feel about it, but it should be ok. As long as I can figure out how to fill it up...I had an empty looking tank for the longest time, not wanting that again : )

clowninround said:
What can I get? I have a preference for tangs. I want at least one medium to large sized fish.
If for your existing 150 gal, unfortunately none. If for one of the other sized tanks you mentioned, quite possibley.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the Bfly's discussed in a larger tank. It really depend on which tank size is chosen and what fish (if any) from either tanks are combined.

Of the tangs mentioned above, I would choose either the Atlantic blue (Acanthurus coeruleus) or the shoulder. Either way, I would ensure they are acclimated and doing well before the others are transfered. The blue is tempermental when it gets older but aquired relatively small it should fit right in. The shoulder is a lot like the Kole tang in temperment so given an appropriately sized tank with a good amount of LR, it should do well.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Stripes! I plan on taking pictures of the whole process.

Well we decided on the Antlantic blue, we got a small one. We will have the tank in November. I don't get the fish till monday but that gives me about 4 weeks for Qt +/-, and put it in my husbands tank if it ends up being longer. He has no tangs in it, it's pretty empty actually. we also got a pair of sebae clowns and a squareback anthia. I have an extra 10 gal to qt a maroon, but I wanted to see the size of it. Mine is a good 4-5"...how many inches sould I look for and how do I know it's a male?

With a tank this size what would be the ideal bulk head sizes? I have to tell them what size to cut the holes. How much flow should I be getting? I know I want a strong pump because I plan on having a nozzle shooting out from each corner (one big return pipe that has a t at the end so that I have a nozzle in each corner of the tank) Does this sound right? I want NO POWERHEADS!

clowninround said:
Mine is a good 4-5"...how many inches sould I look for and how do I know it's a male?
As close to an inch or less if possible. Female tomato clowns are testy at the best of times so you need to ensure the newly added clown looks as unthreatening as possible. The smaller size helps ensure the clown is male or still neuter and there are less territorial issues. There will be tail nipping and chasing at first but if introduced to a large system, it will not be as prolonged or violent.

With a tank this size what would be the ideal bulk head sizes? I have to tell them what size to cut the holes. How much flow should I be getting? I know I want a strong pump because I plan on having a nozzle shooting out from each corner (one big return pipe that has a t at the end so that I have a nozzle in each corner of the tank) Does this sound right? I want NO POWERHEADS!
I think your best option would be to incorporate a closed loop system. It will be a long term solution and one that will allow for more variations in the tanks future. I know it's an FOWLR at this point but that may change. Aside from that, your not going to get enough out of just the overflows to accomplish proper flow in a tank that long without the use of powerheads. With a properly plumbed closed loop, you'll be rock'in. I however am not the one to guide you through that. My plumbing knowledge is not up to that level where I'd feel comfortable enough to not make an error with this kind of project. I will send a PM to someone that should be able to help much better in that regard.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom