Tank rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scooterdragon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking of adding a sump to my 55 gallon reef tank If I pull it all apart and put everything in separate containers ( rock and sand) and Qt the fish How long before I can set back up

Just out of curiosity why are you taring down the tank to add a sump. Why not just go with a overflow box? Much cheaper and less stress on fish and corals. I added a eshopps box on a 75 reef I had setup and it worked great and was silent too. I had started with out a sump and added one. Hardest part was sliding the tank out from the wall to get the sump in from the back as it wouldn't fit through the doors.

Just out of curiosity why are you taring down the tank to add a sump. Why not just go with a overflow box? Much cheaper and less stress on fish and corals. I added a eshopps box on a 75 reef I had setup and it worked great and was silent too. I had started with out a sump and added one. Hardest part was sliding the tank out from the wall to get the sump in from the back as it wouldn't fit through the doors.

I second this, just get a hang on overflow box. 55g are usually tempered from what I've read so you can't drill it anyways. Save getting a drilled tank for your next upgrade.

The only overflow box that seems to have a solid response from everyone who has owed one is the lifereef and I can almost get a drilled tank for that price at my lfs

The life reef over flow is solid but expensive. If you have it drilled and use PVC, I would wait like three or four days to set the tank back up. Just to make sure the glue has cured. 2 days at the least.

I do like the thought of the overflow box if I didn't live in a upstairs apartment where a minor 15 flood could be Real Bad News

Back
Top Bottom