Tank Stands - why are they so ugly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why does it seem that MOST of the tank stands I see are so cheesy looking. They all look like cheap pine or styled from the 70's and 80's?

Is this normal or is just that people that post pictures on the internet in general buy cheap stands? I know a nice looking one is not cheap so maybe thats why.

Hmmm....stands are at the higher end of the hobby. Many cost more than the tank. Most folks have a pressed particle board - wood veneer stand. We are at the mercy of the manufacturers in this regard.

The complete wood stands are extraordinarily expensive. If you feel that the aforementioned stand are "cheesy" from the 70' and 80"s, have you considered that folks may like this style?

There are all kinds of stands out there. I can't recall many 'cheesy' ones I've seen. Look around, you'll find the one that strikes your fancy. :wink:

Jchillin said:
If you feel that the aforementioned stand are "cheesy" from the 70' and 80"s, have you considered that folks may like this style?

I have considered it yes.

The fact that the nice ones are expensive sounds like a more logical explination though.

:)

A nice stands requires a lot of finishing work which can get very pricey in a hurry. Detailing a stand with nice trim piece will usually take more time than just banging together the big pieces holding up the tank. Besides, who wants a nice stand when you have that beautiful tank sitting on it hogging all of the attention :wink:

I agree with you on the stands... they're all pretty tacky.... agreed that you will pay a pretty penny for a good looking one...

grimlock3000 said:
Besides, what stops people from building their own stands :)

True, I was just thinking about getting a cabinet refacing kit from home depot with some nice doors and so forth and mounting it to a 2x4 built stand. If my tank is the standard width thats all that matters. 24" 30" 36 inch wide... any of those are standard "build it yourself" cabinet sizes.

Thanks for the idea.

Scott

DIY and you can only blame yourself for the poor disign and cheap materials.

I was building mine myself because I couldent use a standard hight and I am verry happy about that. (now that i'm donne :lol: )

My husband has built two, one for me and one for my daughter. As far as I am concerned - the only way to go. Custom built and at a fraction of the cost.

Mine is an Oceanic and I really like the look of it. Maybe my "style" (or lack thereof) is the cheesey 70's style, lol. Pics in my gallery.

I agree. I just got a used tank w/ oak stand. Great condition, however the stand was that blond color oak like the late 70's early 80's. I sanded it all down and refinished it in a dark cherry with black hardware to match my mission style furniture. Looks so much better. I also gave it 5 coats of polyerathane for SW protection.
Instead of attracting more attention from the tank, it compliments it.

Hi first off I would like to say this is a topic I have been pondering for a little while I am currently thinking about starting a small business custom building aquariums, one thing that has been bothering me is stand and trim desighn I want to make it dark and distressed like it was made from rough cut wood with old world craftsmen ship with like a quarter inch of polyrathane like you see on tables in an old restaurant or a gym floor. I want some opinions on that and if you could post some links to other styles that you like thanks

Back
Top Bottom