Tank Swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was tired of looking through the scratched glass of my hand me down tank, so i shelled out the 30 bucks for a new 20H. It was well worth it. It improved the over all apperance of the tank very much. I need to find a good digital camera to snap some pics.

Also I was thinking about making a sump out of the old tank. I also have a 10 I could use. Anyone have good plans to make one?

Well...you'll need an overflow, you can buy one on-line (stay away from CPR), some drain line a pump and some return line. Depending on how fast a flow rate you have, you may want to glue in some baffles and or make a dam and weir, to prevent micro bubbles from returning to the tank. It is fairly straight forward. If you have enough LR and LS in the tank, there is no need for any additional biological filtration, so the bio chamber would be unnescessary. If it was me, I'd use the 20, you'll be able to keep it more full than the 10 giving you more water volume and if you feel like it, you can turn the 10 into a refugium, adding to the nitrification and denitrification capacity of the tank, as well as provide free food for the fish.

I know why I recommend not using them.

Personally I have a problem using or suggesting to use an overflow that requries a powerhead or some other electrical device to restart or even maintain the syphon action. Its my understanding that the CPR units require a powerhead to keep the syphon going and should power cut off the powerhead is needed to start the sphon back up.

The "U" tube overflows require nothing external to maintain or restart the syphon due to a powerfailure.

Through prior experience with CPR products they tend to be low quality, IMO, for the money. I also agree with Aaron's statements.

Back
Top Bottom