tank temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My new RedSea Max C-130 is great but I'm not too happy with the water temperature. I can't seem to get it below 80F even with the lights off. In fact, I'm going to use LED's instead of the PC lights it comes with. That should at least keep my temperature down a bit. I keep my house A/C at 76F. My 20 gallon tank was always at 77F but that was an open top. Is 80F too hot or should I get a chiller to get the temps down. Not really happy with the chiller idea though.

You can try a chiller but that is expensive. You can put a fan over the water an I have heard people put ice packs in their sump. I would not recommend that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

80 degrees is fine, I maintain mine at 79 and bump it up to 80-81 in the summer.
those few degrees equals about $50-$70 a month on the electric bill from the chiller running. You don't need a chiller unless temps are getting and staying in the upper 80's.

the obvious culprit is going to be any pumps you have running as they are the only thing that will generate heat. Mine stayed ~80+ just from the mag drive pumps I was using. replaced the main return with DC pump and using a Magnum 350 for additional circulation/filtration. Now if left alone my temps can drop into the low 70's easy.
Submersible pumps can generate a lot of heat.

80 degrees is fine, I maintain mine at 79 and bump it up to 80-81 in the summer.
those few degrees equals about $50-$70 a month on the electric bill from the chiller running. You don't need a chiller unless temps are getting and staying in the upper 80's.

the obvious culprit is going to be any pumps you have running as they are the only thing that will generate heat. Mine stayed ~80+ just from the mag drive pumps I was using. replaced the main return with DC pump and using a Magnum 350 for additional circulation/filtration. Now if left alone my temps can drop into the low 70's easy.
Submersible pumps can generate a lot of heat.

+1 I was about to say everything you said.

Back
Top Bottom