tank transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am buying an already established saltwater aquarium with live rock some fish, starfish, crabs, snails and shrimp. Going to have to transport it about an hour from me. What is the best way to break down the tank and get it and its inhabitants home safely

tank moving

I haven't done it personally but alot of people use rubber maid tubs, 5 gallon buckets, put the rock in the rubbermaid tubs or wherever they fit but keep them wet.

I've done it. Used a 5 gallon bucket to keep live stock in and the Rubbermaid totes for live rock. Filled them up with tank water to keep the rock wet

Im moving my 75 gal reef in about a month .
I think I'm going to follow .
Anything to help save all my livestock .

It's no different then moving rooms in your house just a small break while you drive

ive done it from about the same distance as well ..... i got a few polystyrene containers, put live rock in there with wet newspaper to keep everything wet. i put a couple of fish in different poly containers with the existing water. when i got the livestock to our new home i put an airstone in each livestock container to keep the water moving for a day or 2 and put a live rock or 2 in the for a mini bio filter while i setup the tank. then moved the tank. had 100% success rate.... nothing died.

I moved my 90 a few months back, followed the same steps as above. I just wanted to add that I got the styrofoam boxes free from my lfs, I just hit them up on their receiving day and they gave me all I needed. May save you from having to buy buckets, totes etc especially if you only plan to use once. Good luck!

Moving kinda scares me .
I was recommended to get another tank and set it up .

And was told that would be the easiest and safest way .
I was thinking a new tank will mean I no longer have a established tank and my ritteri anemone isn't In a tank that's 1 year old but in a brand new tank ?
I was hoping if I emptied the tank saved some water to keep everything wet ,
Bagged up all the corals and fish .
I was going to trash the old sand and use new , but also wanted to make my sand bed deeper . I want 4+ inches
If I did It this way will everything be ok ?
Should I leave everything out of the tank till the sand settles ?
I could put a heater and a power head in a storage tote if I had to ?
The move is only about 20-30 mins away but it might take awhile to tear down and set up .

Keep in mind that fish and corals regularly get shipped over the course of 1 or 2 days without any issues. 30m is no problem at all. That's a good plan on the new sand. I would like to add that I would keep enough water on hand for a large water change just in case there's an ammonia spike from rock die off.

I move tanks a lot (Flooring Installer) go your LFS ask them for there old shipping boxes put any fish in them with old tank water use new salt water for the live rock if you dont have enough of the old, keep it covered no die off The nem will be fine just drip acc. him to the new water from the refilled tank. the styro boxes will hold the warmth for a long time so no worries there. I have kept live stock out of there tank for up to 72 hours and have yet to have a problem just dont over crowd

When I moved back in August I had a 4 hour drive to transport my 55 gallon tank and stock. I used a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids. Filled them about 3/4 of the way then put in a couple fish and put the lid on to keep from splashing. I had no causalities and they are all doing well

This is only a 29 gallon tank I am moving so hopefully I have no problems with it. I am only buying it because its suppose to have 55 pounds of live rock and I want that for my 90 gallon. But I still want to make sure the fish are safe because I will leave the 20 set up for them.

Back
Top Bottom