Tank up and running ... few questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well the day finally arrived, I set up my tank on friday the 20th. I ended up using 40lbs of Un-cured Fiji and about 30lbs of CaribSea aragonite and 15lbs of CaribSea Aragalive! Everything looks BEAUTIFUL!!! :D :D

Went to the grocery store and asked the seafood guy for one uncooked -unseasoned coctail shrimp ... after some CRAZY looks :? and many questions :?: He gave me the shrimp! So I get home throw it in there, kinda in the corner under one of my PH's ... and sat back! to my amazment NOTHING happened .... HAHAHAHA wishful thinking huh? :wink:

Well 3 days later ... Today. I wake up to find the shrimp looks like a big BLOB of GOO! The tank doesn't smell or anything so I decided to do a quick test on my Ph and Ammonia. Ph=8.2ish and Ammonia=0.5ish ??????? Temp is right around 77, SG 1.024-5ish

questions,

My Ph ... higher/lower/or perfect?

I should see the Ammonia rise over the next few days correct?

And is my SG to high? when I say .024-5ish I mean it may even be as high .027, the cheapo hydrometer is GONE!

When do I remove the shrimp or do I?

and last but not least, should I be testing for trites and trates at this point?

Thanks,
Jermz

PH is fine... no worries
Am should rise over the next few days... yes.
SG is right, although .027 is high... don't let it go past .025 IMO. Those cheapy hydrometers are notorious for being off.
Don't remove the shrimp... it'll dissolve completely. You may have to add in another after that if your am/trite are still high... if no shrimp is there, then nothing will fuel the cycle.
Wait about a week to test trite... trate can go after that.

another question I just thought about?

I should be doing top off's right? I haven't had any evaporation yet, but I'm sure I will within the cycle period.

you will have to in order to keep the SG correct....as water evaporates...the SG will increase cause the salt doesnt evaporate...

When would be the best time to do top off's, meaning when I notice the water level drop below what it initially was or is there some rule of thumb to go by ... maybe an 1" or 2" drop?

do you have a sump?
I marked my sump with a sharpy and when it gets to the line i add a gal
I have 2 lines....a water level line (where the water should be) and add water line (when the water gets down to this line i add water up the level line)

this sounds dumb but it makes it simple in a not so simple hobby :mrgreen:

Nope don't have a sump! I guess as a general rule I use the plastic border around the top of the tank for my "Full" line. I guess if it drops below this it's probably time to add some water huh?

pearsont74 said:
makes it simple in a not so simple hobby :mrgreen:

You hit that nail on the head!!!! :lol: :wink:

yup....
you know....its so simple to add a sump and worth the effort....u can buy a 10gal tank from wally mart for less then $10 and look on ebay for a overflow box
something to look into and research

I might eventually check into that, just seemed a little more than I wanted to do being that this is my first tank and all!

With a sump, doesn't it require a little more than an extra tank and overflow box? I mean don't you have to have more sand and more LR, return pumps and lines and what not? I really don't know!

Welp looks like I might have to take a quick trip to the LFS tonight for more water!!!!

Back
Top Bottom