Tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am upgrading from a 90 to a 160 gallon 8 foot tank. I want to place it in the same location as the previous tank. Does anyone have any recommendations? ? The more I think about it the more difficult it seems it will be to move everything. Keep it at temp and happy while I set up the new system and get it up to temp and operating. Starting to think this may be a bad idea.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am kind of doing the same thing I am going from a 80 to a 275 I am gonna keep my old tank up and running until I get the new one going.

An 8 ft 160g?
Wow that's long!
I have a 180g that's only a little over 6 ft

It's not overly deep. My 90 is 26 inches deep now and I think I would prefer the shallow tank.

I upgraded from 60 gal to 150 gal at the same spot and here are the steps of what I did.

1. I used new substrate so I washed them first and set aside.
2. Next to my old tank is my dining table that I can slide on the carpet so I used it to temporarily move it there before setting up the new tank at the same spot. I did this by myself. If there is another person to help you out then you don't have to worry about lifting it and you just put it on the floor
3. I have 2 large plastic containers to accommodate my fish and corals and all the water so I placed them there with lights, heater and circulating pump while I removed the old substrate for disposal.
4. After moving the old stand and tank out of the way I placed the new stand and tank at the same spot. Set it up with new substrate including the LR that would be at the bottom then run the pumps over night to give enough time for water to clear and parameter to stabilize. I mixed the old and new saltwater. I used 3 cups of old substrate to seed my new substrate.
5. The following day I made sure the parameter of the remaining water is closed to one in the tank (temp, salinity and pH) before moving the rest of the stuff.

So far it went smooth and my tank has been running flawlessly for about 6 months. I plan to add more LR when the time comes with more fish and corals in the future.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Hopefully I can have the same success.

You are welcome. BTW I forgot to mention that since my saltwater in the new tank was not yet at the right level during the night, I used a large hose as my temporary overflow and run the return pump controlled by an ato with sensor at DT to prevent flooding. The next morning that's when I filled the DT with the remaining saltwater before I move the fish. Just make sure you have everything you need before you start.

Back
Top Bottom