TDS Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
The water coming out of my tap is around 219 on my handheld TDS meter.

I've just set up the RO/DI unit last nigh and flushed the membrane for 2 hours, and then ran the system into a bucket for another 2 hours.

I then let it put RO/DI water into my collection drum.

I measured the water this morning and the TDS count is 6.

Is that low enough? Should I throw this water out and wait for TDS to read 1?

Thanks,
Todd

IMO, a TDS of 6 is a little high with a DI chamber. Have you checked the TDS coming out of the RO membrane before it goes into the DI filter? You have a pretty high TDS going in too. How's your water pressure? Low water pressure can cause the RO membrane to operate at a lesser efficiency. You might end up needing to add another DI chamber to get the TDS down to 0-1. Adding a booster pump, if your water pressure is low, would help as well.
If I remember correctly, my readings here were about 170 on the tap, 14 at the RO membrane, and 1 out of the DI filter.

I haven't checked the water coming out of the RO before it enters the DI yet. Might do that when I get home.

I can't speak to my water pressure. I attached it right to the cold water pipe and we've always had decent water pressure in the house. I wouldn't really classify it as low pressure.

Since it is a new setup, perhaps it is still flushing/cleaning the carbon filter that is after the DI filter (it's a 6 stage).

Thanks,
Todd

I have a 5stage RO/DI out of my tap the TDS is in the 600's. Out of the RO it is a 7 tds out of the DI it is always under 1 when the DI cartrige is new. I change all my pre filters if the RO TDS reaches 15. just me. HTH

Back
Top Bottom