Tell me everything you know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you don't know the basics... I don't think you should be working there.
A problem with a lot of LFS is that the employees are uneducated and they give people wrong information. You can't just decide to work a fish store because you think it's cool. Sorry :(

EDIT: I noticed you have freshwater experience, but little of that will help you here.

If you don't know the basics... I don't think you should be working there.
A problem with a lot of LFS is that the employees are uneducated and they give people wrong information. You can't just decide to work a fish store because you think it's cool. Sorry :(

EDIT: I noticed you have freshwater experience, but little of that will help you here.

I will be there watching for a few months. I mean like business stuff, not care.
My best friends dad owns the shop, and wants me to help him.

I will be there watching for a few months. I mean like business stuff, not care.

My best friends dad owns the shop, and wants me to help him.

Ah well, you might want to try going to a business forum instead. I don't think we will be of much help.

Do you know what your roles will be specifically?

Be humble. Don't claim to know anything at first. Read and watch these forums. Only pass on advice you yourself have researched, otherwise don't pass it on.

Emphasis patience! Most SW hobbyists crater because they are in a big hurry. And have selective hearing.

Be humble. Don't claim to know anything at first. Read and watch these forums. Only pass on advice you yourself have researched, otherwise don't pass it on.

Emphasis patience! Most SW hobbyists crater because they are in a big hurry. And have selective hearing.

I know absolutly nothing about sw fish. My friends dad opened a shop called ACC
aquariumcarecenter.com her dad really wants me to work there since I'm great with animals. First I would be watching for a few weeks to months. I understand some basics, but I'm no expert. After I understand the fish he wants me to work there. If I can prove I'm responsible my dad may let me get a saltwater tank, my friends dad even offered to supply everything I would need.

I think you will learn more than many of us "experts "by working in the field. Stay humble but realize that many of the people you talk to will not know what they are talking about.

I got degree in marine biology but did not really know how to keep a fish room until I got a job working at a public aquarium.

The basic skills you get from FW can serve you well.

Read all you can and spend time studying

When I did fish for a living it was probably 50% art and 50% science...there is a lot more settled science now but understand there is more than one right way to do things. Listen to people who are successful not the ones who talk the most and you will do fine

My two cents

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom